Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Attic Subfloor Help

Im sorry for posting another subfloor question, but I cannot find an existing topic that discusses my specific problem.

I recently bought my first house and Im learning home improvement as I go. The house was built in 1941. Were in the process of turning the attic into a bedroom. The attic is 30 foot long by 12 foot wide and has 4 foot high knee walls and a 7 foot high ceiling. We tore everything down to the studs, re-insulated, rebuilt the half-wall stair railing, and installed canned lighting to preserve as much headroom as possible. Weve removed the 1950s era carpet and the thin sheet of masonite that was below it. This is where I need some help.

The subfloor is 1 x 6 planks installed at a 90 degree angle over 2 x 10 joists installed 16 on center. The planks are not T &G and have to inch gaps.
  • Can I install hardwood directly over the existing subfloor at a diagonal or would I need to install inch plywood over the existing planks because there are installed at a 90 over the joists? If I install the plywood I would be able to run parallel to the planks (lengthwise of te room), but I would loose headroom from the additional height of the inch plywood and hardwood flooring (vertical bamboo or maple select).
  • What are the requirements for smoothing out the existing subfloor if I replace the carpet? Would I still have to lay plywood or is the masonite solution acceptable?
  • Is the weight of a queen sized bed, two people, and two wardrobes something I should be concerned about on the existing subfloors? They dont squeak, but the gaps freak me out.
  • Would it make sense to remove the existing subfloor and replace it with another material?
  • Any other flooring suggestions for this space?
I hope Ive done an adequate job of describing my situation. Remember, Im new at this home improvement thing so go easy on me. Let me know if you have further questions or need more clarification. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mico3568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2

Attic Subfloor Help

I hope you pulled a permit for this project, converting attic storage space into living space raises a wide range of issues from adequate egress to required insulation, electrical design, smoke detectors etc., all of which would presumably have been pointed out to you by the building department.

As for the flooring, you should check with the specific floor manufacturer, they all have specific requirements for subfloor support. If you want a good resource, check with the National Oak Flooring Association (they have a website) for very good information on hardwood floor installation practice.

Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:54 PM   #3

Attic Subfloor Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
I hope you pulled a permit for this project, converting attic storage space into living space raises a wide range of issues from adequate egress to required insulation, electrical design, smoke detectors etc., all of which would presumably have been pointed out to you by the building department.

As for the flooring, you should check with the specific floor manufacturer, they all have specific requirements for subfloor support. If you want a good resource, check with the National Oak Flooring Association (they have a website) for very good information on hardwood floor installation practice.
Daniel,

Thanks for your response. Maybe the title of my thread is misleading when I say attic. It was a living space (bedroom) prior to our renovation. I think some people might refer to this room as a dormer? There were holes in the walls when I removed the wood paneling, and that led to the discovery of the sub-standard insulation.

I worked with an electrical contractor to install the new lights. new oulets, and run new wire throughout the room. This included installing one outlet on its own circuit should we need to run a window air conditioner in the summer.

The majority of information I've been able to find about subfloors has been in reference to hardwood floor or tile installation. I still have the questions pointed out in my original post that I cannot find the answer to. Any help on those would be much appreciated.

thanks again,
mico
Old 02-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #4

Attic Subfloor Help

"Subfloor versus Underlayment"

From: http://bct.nrc.umass.edu/index.php/p...ient-flooring/

I'd ask your question here, though they may be bias: http://www.apawood.org/pablog/index....-Floor-Systems

Be safe, Gary
Old 03-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #5

Attic Subfloor Help

Interesting read. Thanks, Gary.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #6

Attic Subfloor Help

Can anyone answer this question from my original post?

"Can I install hardwood directly over the existing subfloor if I lay it at a diagonal if the subfloor planks are installed at a 90 degree angle over the joists?"

mico
Old 03-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
Newbie Bill

Attic Subfloor Help

Have you checked out the website of the company that manufactured your hardwood? Like Daniel said you ideally want to prepare your subfloor to meet the manufacturers recommendations.

IMHO, I would prefer to "exceed" the minimum specifications required.

Given your concerns about the bed on just the subfloor planks, I think you answered you own question. Losing an inch of head room should be a minor inconvenience.

Also as Daniel indicated, I hope you researched the permit side of things and are making sure all aspects of the project are compliant with your area's building requirements. You'd hate to have an issue arise on the insurance side of things.

And lastly, we like to see pictures. So please post photos of before and after if possible.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #8

Attic Subfloor Help

I double-checked the code and the only thing that requires a permit while doing my renovation is the electrical work. That work is already done (with a permit), and it was hired out to a qualified electrician. The hardwood floor installation does not require a building permit. This was already a bedroom, and the room has adequate egress. No load bearing walls were moved. No plumbing was moved.

I checked with the manufacturer of the bamboo floor (Teragren) and they refer to the National Wood Flooring Association (NWFA). The NWFA wants you to buy a book to see their installation guidelines. Some other sites list their requirements, and they say that those requirements adhere to the NWFA guidelines; however, those requirements do not discuss my specific subfloor.

http://www.hoskinghardwood.com/hardwood_floors_7/2/All_About_Sub_floors.aspx
This page says it is ok to install solid hardwood directly over the subfloor if the hardwood is laid perpendicular to the subfloor. It does not detail any changes for subfloors installed 90 or diagonally across the joists.

http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/hardwoodinstaller/subfloors.htm
This page says that1x8 solid fir/pine boards installed at 90 degrees to joists spaced 16" OC require inch CDX plywood to be installed over the subfloor. My floor is 1X6 at 90 degrees to the joist. It also states that hardwood can be installed directly over 1" x 6" solid #2 or better Douglas fir or frame grade pine boards installed diagonally across floor joists 16" on center(OC). This caused me to wonder if I would be ok installing the hardwood at a diagonal over the existing subfloor.

I did all of this research before I posted my question on this board. Why tell me that I need to add plywood to my floor because the gaps freak ME out. Im not a hardwood flooring installer. I dont know if this is normal. The room previously had two beds, a desk, and four standalone closets that have been removed so I assume its plenty strong. I was looking for SOMEONE ELSES knowledge on the gaps between the planks. Attached is a picture of the subfloor.

So once againcan someone please answer the questions in my original post?
Attached Images