Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

attic subfloor

can anyone help the time has come to finish my attic and add a bonus room the problem is my floor joist 2 X 12s are not level with one another so does any one have advice on how to level them so that i can lay my plywood subfloor would shims be the way to go or would attaching 2 x 4s and using a string be best

dalverson81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

attic subfloor

If the joists are exposed you can glue and screw a 2 x 6 along side of each loist. Make sure the new ones are level. Find the highest ones and tie a string across all the joists making the string even with the highest points. You will have to do this in several places.

woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #3

attic subfloor

thanks for the input yes now after removing the old osb the joist are exposed i will use the idea does it have to be 2 x 6 or will 2 x 4 be sufficent
Old 02-16-2011, 08:47 AM   #4

attic subfloor

I am doing almost the same thing. My floor is T&G in the attic from like 1901. This fine, but I want to put a flat lying floor over the top of it. The floor is pretty even for the most part so I'm not too worried about that. What type of plywood are you using or is there something that I should be using? What type of screws would you suggest using to install and is glue necessary. I will be putting in a carpet pad and carpet over the top.
Hunter25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #5

attic subfloor

Use 3/4 sturd I floor plywood tounge and grove I used deck screws for mine three times the thickness of my board so 2 1/2 should do and yes use glue to prevent squeaky floors down the road every twelve inches on board u need to screw and every six on seems allow a small space between seams for expansion about 1/32
Old 02-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #6

attic subfloor

I removed my previous sub floor it was tounge and grove pan and replaced with the sturdy floor ply if ur happy with u existing floor u can probably get a way with a thinner board used as an underlayment good luck my floors are finally done as well as my walls now onto my electrical and insulation
Old 02-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,124

attic subfloor

The idea of using a 2x4 or 2x6 runner to get you to a level floor is fine, but if you only have a few spots that are low, I would simply shim by gluing appropriate width (probably 1-5/8") stock to the top of the joists in the low areas. If you have high areas, you can plane the joists down. The easiest way to find high or low areas is with a rotating laser level, you can get them for under $50 from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool, or probably at the big box stores for that matter. I usually use a precision fluid level, but you can do just as well with a laser level.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #8

attic subfloor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter25 View Post
I am doing almost the same thing. My floor is T&G in the attic from like 1901. This fine, but I want to put a flat lying floor over the top of it. The floor is pretty even for the most part so I'm not too worried about that. What type of plywood are you using or is there something that I should be using? What type of screws would you suggest using to install and is glue necessary. I will be putting in a carpet pad and carpet over the top.
At this point, in order to get my OSB in th attic for the floor, I need to cut the width down. 4x8 is too large to get through the door and my windows have not been put in yet. My thought it to have the Depot cut 10 sheets in 1/2 and 10 sheets in 3' widths with the remaining 1' widths that I could use in the closets. Does anyone see a reason why I absolutely need to have 4x8 sheets or why I shouldn't use narrower sheets for the flooring?

Thanks for your thoughts

Last edited by Hunter25; 02-25-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Hunter25 is offline   Reply With Quote