Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #1

Share |

Attic flooring

I'm finishing an attic and the floor is 3/8 inch ply that is in no way smooth. I actually have 2 questions.

1) is 3/8" thick enough for, say, living room traffic?

2) I plan on using peel & stick carpet tiles on the floor. Would primed 1/8" or 1/4" hardboard atop the 3/8" plywood be a good surface to install the tiles on? I'm trying to do it on the cheap.

Thanks

Chestersthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
Tileguy

Attic flooring

Hi Chester,

It all depends on how the space will be used, but if there's a potential for "normal" usage in the future, the minimum subfloor thickness should be 5/8". However since you already have 3/8", you should not go any thinner than 1/2" over what is there now. What are the joists' size and spacing? What is the span of the joists? How will the room be used?

So.........

Quote:
1) is 3/8" thick enough for, say, living room traffic?
Absolutely not.

Quote:
2) I plan on using peel & stick carpet tiles on the floor. Would primed 1/8" or 1/4" hardboard atop the 3/8" plywood be a good surface to install the tiles on? I'm trying to do it on the cheap
Nothing 1/8 or 1/4" is gonna add much strength. Waste of time and money. Going "cheap" usually cost too much in the end.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:31 PM   #3

Attic flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan
Hi Chester,

It all depends on how the space will be used, but if there's a potential for "normal" usage in the future, the minimum subfloor thickness should be 5/8". However since you already have 3/8", you should not go any thinner than 1/2" over what is there now. What are the joists' size and spacing? What is the span of the joists? How will the room be used?

So.........

Absolutely not.

Nothing 1/8 or 1/4" is gonna add much strength. Waste of time and money. Going "cheap" usually cost too much in the end.

Jaz
Thanks Jaz, will pick up 1/2". Floor joists are 2x10's 16" oc. 1/2" finished 1 side should do the trick.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
Tileguy

Attic flooring

Quote:
1/2" finished 1 side should do the trick.
Underlayment grade is usually called B/C pine with exterior glued veneers. Exposure 1 is another term. Just don't buy the cheap CDX sheathing. Sheathing is not for underlayment. Sheathing is to apply the exterior surface of your shed or garage.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #5

Attic flooring

Jaz
I was mistaken, the underlayment is 5/8". What should
I put on top to give me a nice smooth surface for peel & stick?
Old 12-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
Tileguy

Attic flooring

OK, sounds better. So the 5/8" is the subfloor, (there is no underlayment, yet), and you say it's not in good shape. If it's flat and structurally good, I would be OK with 3/8" underlayment. Certain grades of 1/4" birch panels made for flooring underlayment will be fine too. Just don't buy cheap 1/4" ply and especially don't buy what is commonly known as luaun.

Jaz