DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

attic floor

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Gary in WA 
#1 · (Edited)
I had a question on flooring in my attic.I have the osb down and wanted to know if linoleum would be the lightest easiest to use there.Its for storage but may renovate later on.Also it will get somewhat hot up there until i renovate it so i didnt know if that would be a factor.
Any info is appreciated.

#2 ·
First is this attic floor even built for storage?
What's the width of the floor joist, spans and spacing?
What type and thickness of OSB did you use?
Was it T & G?

#5 ·
The minimum thickness subflooring should have been 3/4, it needed to be Tounged and groved to reduce flexing, there also should have been constrution adhesive on top of the joist (studs are what a wall, not a floor is built with)
It should have been nailed with ring shanked nails every 6 to 8".

What's the spans on the joist? (the distance from one support to the next)

What differance does it make what the weight of the linolium is?

#6 ·
I have 11/32 osb .the studs are 18" apart 2 by 8 i believe but need to measure.
Good idea, yes, you need to remeasure. I doubt the on center spacing is 18". And 11/32" OSB? You don't want to be walking on that much. Min. subfloor is 5/8" ply or 3/4" OSB. Joe asked about the joists' span earlier. You didn't answer.

Jaz

#7 ·
OSB will act as a vapor retarder. Most floor coverings will also help stop the moisture from getting to the roof sheathing where the passive air-flow will get rid of it before it damages your wood framing. As "it gets hot up there" you need more insulation/ventilation, not storage...

Gary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.