DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Attaching luan plywood to subfloor

39K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Gary in WA 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm installing vinyl tiles over an existing vinyl tile hallway. Which is better to attach luan plywood over the sub floor ring shank nails or screws? If screw what kind? Existing floor has 1/4" Masonite+1/8" vinyl tile on top of that I will add 1/4" laun plywood + 1/8" vinyl tiles. Not sure of the thickness of the floor underneath. I understand your not a fan of luan plywood but that's what I have to work with.

#3 ·
I agree no screws, use the ring shank nails made for the purpose.

Pros use 9/16" 18 guage staples,
OH OH, isn't that too short? I thought, and the vinyl guys here have always used 7/8" staples. I haven't installed thin ply in many years, but I do have a staple gun made just for installing 1/4" and also luaun and they're coated 7/8".

every 4"-6" in the field and 1"-2" along the edges.
No wonder you go 1-2" at seams. In this case the staple would not even penetrate the subfloor.

Jaz

#5 · (Edited)
OH OH, I guess I caught you on the wrong night. :whistling2:

I'm just saying what I've noticed and what I used to sell for 1/4" underlayment and luaun. I believe they use 7/8" -1/4" crown for the job. I just went to my van to see what I had. Mine are actually 1 1/8" long. I think I bought those cuz I occasionally used to use 3/8" AC ply. Haven't installed 3/8" in 3-4 years. Duo-Fast is the brand. I didn't find a 9/16" in the Duo-Fast selection, but doesn't mean they don't make em.

So you're saying Armstrong says 9/16" is long enough? That means the staple is penetrating the subfloor about 3/8". What underlayment are you using under sheet goods? Hopefully not luaun, does anyone dare use that stuff these days?

Here's something I found on the subject;

With all underlayments,
the fastener should penetrate the underfloor by
3/4” (1.9cm), but not protrude through the underfloor
by more than 1/8” (3.2mm). If the underlayment is
being installed over an old floor covering, the thickness
of the flooring should be taken into consideration
when selecting nail and staple length.

Jaz

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.