Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #1

Share |

Asbestos Tiles and Red Glue

Hi,
I recently pulled up some old carpets to find 9 X 9 tiles which I've been told may have asbestos in them. I have two questions: I removed a few of these tiles just by picking them up intact without even using a scrapper to get under them. If they are this easy to remove should I continue to remove them rather then have to deal with them maybe 10 years down the road? Also, I've read about VAT ususally having black mastic for the glue but these seem to have some type of red glue which is not very thick. Does anyone know of any red glue that would have been used to put these down and would the glue also contain asbestos? I will attach a couple of pics. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give me on this topic.
Attached Thumbnails
Asbestos Tiles and Red Glue-tiles-1.jpg   Asbestos Tiles and Red Glue-tiles-2.jpg  

Last edited by Roadrunner; 01-13-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
Tileguy

Hi Runner,

Irrespective of what type of tiles those are, you should remove them.

I've never seen that color adhesive ether. OK, so the tiles are a whitish marbleized color and the backs are that solid dark gray, right?

If so, it's what was called hydrocord back and the top is solid vinyl, I'm pretty sure. Even though it's probably not VAT, it is possible, (but not likely) that it contains some asbestos in the backing material. Only one way to know for sure, but why bother? Just remove it, double back it and ask your city if you need to do anything else. You're not going to sand it, so there shouldn't be any friable asbestos released if it contained any. If it starts to chip, check it moist.

What do you plan to install in its place? You may still need to deal with the adhesive, possibly by mechanical means.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:16 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I agree. Get rid of the things especially if they seem to be coming up easily. Dispose of them properly though. Asbestos is not an issue until it goes airborne but to be safe make sure you have a mask or aspirator on at all times. I do not know what the adhesive is but is unlikely it has asbestos in its makeup. I would still have a mask on when working with it though.

Be sure and block off the room from any cold air intakes near when working with asbestos and if you have a forced air system.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:13 AM   #4

Thank you both for all your information.
The backing on the tile looks black but I guess it could be a dark gray.
I was going to install carpet. Can I just put some plastic or something down to cover the glues and lay the pad and carpet over that?
I was a little worried about removing the tiles because they could contain asbestos but I also did not want to leave them. They do feel like vinyl - they are very bendable.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
Get out of the box!

This tile was a transition tile from the asbestoes to non asbestos. These are very rare. It should not contain asbestos.
The glue was a newer version of cutback but again without the asbestos, this caused it to fail.
Both lines were not in market long.
The tile is very light and feels like a mansonite backing.
I would not bother to even tell your city trash it may only bring up an issue that could cost you time and money.

The only way to be sure is to have it tested.
26yrsinflooring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Just get rid of the tile. Just in case it has any asbestos. Just stick it next to your neighbor's trash pick up in large contractor bags, and if you think it might be hazardous waste, drag it two doors down the street and leave it there.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #7

I took a sample of the tile to a lab to be tested - I should know by Tuesday if it has asbestos in it. I am hoping that it is the transition tile that "26yearsinflooring" was speaking about. I do appreciate all the advice and information that everyone is sharing.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #8

I received the test results back and there is NO asbestos in the tiles.
Thank you all for sharing all your information. 26yearsinflooring - looks like you were correct. This tile is made of cellulose - I guess I was lucky that my 9 X 9 tile falls in the 5% that is not asbestos.