Asbestos Tile Basement Bedrooms...Need Advice! - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

Asbestos Tile Basement Bedrooms...Need Advice!

Thank you in advance for your help...I'm lost on this one.

I have just purchased a home with what I believed to be a concrete floor under the stained carpet and pad in the basement.

My plan was to remove the carpet (which covers two sunken floor drains) and stain the concrete.

I have now discovered that under the carpet is asbestos tile which is intact and removal of which is not in budget.

I am looking for options for the basement. We do not want to carpet the basement because of the sunken drains, moisture and heavy canine traffic.

Is there a way we can safely work with or cover the existing asbestos tile which will give us a somewhat attractive floor? There are three bedrooms down there as well as a bath and family room. I am open to any ideas including painting or concrete.

Thanks for your expertise!

Advertisement

2naughtydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,324

Asbestos Tile Basement Bedrooms...Need Advice!

If the old tile is down really good, you can put vinyl tile over the top of it. Or you can intall IVC type sheet vinyl on top.
http://vinylflooring.org/movie.html

Advertisement

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
asbestos floor tiles , basement floor , floor finishes