Asbestos Tile????? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

asbestos tile?????

When we bought our home last year we were told that the 9x9 tile in the basement is possible asbestos. Since it wasnt broken we didnt get it tested. We never really got a chance to clean it up so it is dusty and just used for storage and the laundry room. A few weeks ago when I went to do the wash during a rainstorm i notices a puddle of water that had come in the window. I put a towel over it and my husband cleaned it. Please understand that I have OCD and a 6 month old baby. Since that day I have been worried sick that asbestos was released and has contaminated the house. Was that disturbing the tile? They are not broken. My husband doesnt want to pay someone to do an air quality check. I want to. We are going to be getting new flooring soon and cleaning the basement up. I just want to be certain asbestos isnt everywhere. I cant sleep from all this worrying.

Advertisement

plmtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,318

asbestos tile?????

Relax, that would not release asbestos. The tiles have to be friable,
"substances designated as being hazardous, such as asbestos or crystalline silica are referred to as being friable if they are present in such a state that it is possible for small particles to easily become dislodged, thus enabling them to become respirable (able to enter human lungs), posing a health hazard".

Tiles were only about 2% asbestos anyway, but are completely safe unless broken up into very, very small pieces.

When you get ready for new flooring, the safest way is to just cover up the old tile if possible. That is what the EPA recommends. Come back to us here at that time and someone will be able to answer any questions that you have.

Advertisement

Last edited by rusty baker; 11-17-2010 at 12:51 PM.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

asbestos tile?????

RELAX!
No harm done so far.

You have to do something to break up the tiles and even then the particles would then have to become airborne to be ingested.

Encapsulating the tiles is OK in the future but don't do it if the bond of the new floor covering has to rely on the bond of the old tiles. Even asbestos-containing tiles can be handled properly and disposed of without fears of ingestion. Get a good nights sleep and move on for now.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #4

asbestos tile?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Relax, that would not release asbestos. The tiles have to be friable,
"substances designated as being hazardous, such as asbestos or crystalline silica are referred to as being friable if they are present in such a state that it is possible for small particles to easily become dislodged, thus enabling them to become respirable (able to enter human lungs), posing a health hazard".

Tiles were only about 2% asbestos anyway, but are completely safe unless broken up into very, very small pieces.

When you get ready for new flooring, the safest way is to just cover up the old tile if possible. That is what the EPA recommends. Come back to us here at that time and someone will be able to answer any questions that you have.
we have someone coming to do an air quality check and look at the tile. if he finds a broken or cracked tile is that ok? would asbestos fibers gotten on us when we were going down there? does it stay on clothing or furniture? thanks.
plmtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

asbestos tile?????

Don't worry. Broken or cracked tile will not contaminate. They have to be powdered. If is virtually impossible for you to have gotten any asbestos on you.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:03 PM   #6

asbestos tile?????

the only way the asbestos would become airborne is by cutting the tile with a saw and even that there is so little in the tile you really have nothing to worry about. you really have to work years with the stuff to get it to affect you. when youre ready to remove it the best way if you are worried is to wet it a little which will keep the dust down and not it become airborne. and if you are a smoker dont smoke in between before washing your hands.
wellcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:25 AM   #7

asbestos tile?????

Hello,

I read a reply you had to someone and it may be somewhat my situation.

My contractor just took up our kitchen floor and there was a layer
of tile that he said appeared to have asbestos. I am worried that
it is a health hazard for my family of 5 people due to the particles in
the air after the contractor broke up all of the pieces of the 4 layers
of kitchen floor we inherited to get it off. It was also glued on with
a black-type of glue and did that have asbestos, too??

Our kitchen is about 120 square feet.

My # is: 610-586-4577. I spoke to a friend that is an architect that
said that I should not worry because it would not be a high concentration
in our home to breathe in, but that we should thoroughly clean our
home.

Please help! I was watching the whole time they did this and fear that I
have breathed it in AND then I've been panicked that it's floating around
in our house and that my family is in danger.

Some people have told me that it's too little to worry and I'm reading what
others are saying, too, that it's not as bad as I think.

Thanks for your help.

Best,

May
maysolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

asbestos tile?????

To be sure, I would get your home tested. If you find asbestos, the contractor is liable for all clean up. There are no legal waivers. They broke the law if they removed asbestos containing tile in that manner.
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
maysolito (12-25-2010)
Old 12-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #9

asbestos tile?????

Rusty, at this moment what can be seen on the kitchen flooring is the black looking residue of the cutback (hopefully you can see my picture)...is this much to worry about?

Tomorrow I plan to get some testing done to be sure.

Thanks,

May

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
To be sure, I would get your home tested. If you find asbestos, the contractor is liable for all clean up. There are no legal waivers. They broke the law if they removed asbestos containing tile in that manner.
Attached Images

Advertisement

maysolito is offline   Reply With Quote