Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2008, 08:20 AM   #1

Share |

Asbestos tile?

We started scraping away the current tile in our bathroom and the layer underneath is a black, tar-like layer. In a nearby closet we found a floor tile (either 8x8 or 9x9) that is a black asphalt type tile with a paint-splatter type pattern on it and we think this is what that layer is. We also think this is an asbestos tile. Anybody know for sure?

If so, what are our options? Under the ceramic tile is this black layer substance, then plywood, then the original yellow pine hardwood flooring. So these layers are already at a height that is well above the wood flooring in the hall outside the bathroom. I don't think building right on top of all this is the best idea.

Removal? Can we do this ourselves? Is it a serious threat to try removing it ourselves? What do we do?
nugentcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:20 AM   #2

Asbestos tile?

If it is old enough, there's a good chance it is asbestos tile. How old is the home?

First, the tile is not a hazard to you in its present state. It isn't friable asbestos. The danger begins when you remove it, thereby disturbing it and making it friable (airborne).

Simply wearing a mask won't protect you enough. The fibers will fly and settle everywhere, and you don't want to be breathing them.

Your best course of action is to have a chunk of the tile tested. You can find online kits that you mail in and they give you the results.

If it is asbestos and you must remove it, my suggestion would be to pay a professional to do a safe job. Also, the dump won't take the tiles anyway in most cases...They have to be properly disposed of.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
The Carpenta!!!

Asbestos tile?

I just got on to ask a question similiar to this. In fact here is the pic I was going to post. Am I safe to remove this stuff myself?

P.s. Please tell me yes. Look at this floor...

P.s.s Mine is level with the hardwood. Can I remove the top layer and put backerboard right down on top of the black junk?
Attached Thumbnails
Asbestos tile?-image_033.jpg  
I WILL PERSIST UNTIL I SUCCEED.

Last edited by ManMythLegend; 08-30-2008 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Another question
ManMythLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 02:19 PM   #4

Asbestos tile?

I recently had concerns with some plaster I was removing, so I sent off a sample, and it came back negative. I believe the cost was $25 for the testing. If you go with them, I would suggest you to call them, just incase there are any special instructions.

Here's the site:

http://store.accukits.com/index.html

Bofus

Last edited by bofusmosby; 08-30-2008 at 02:21 PM.
bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:46 PM   #5

Asbestos tile?

Agree- spend the money on testing just to be safe. Here's info about asbestos -- pertains to attic insulation, but see the link at the end for info on precautions.

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/how-to-ad...asbestos.shtml
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:14 PM   #6
Get out of the box!

Asbestos tile?

I can tell by looking at it.
That is pre 1970 I would estimate.
The glue contains the asbestos as well as the flooring, just as KC said.
You best bet is to have an abatement done or escapulate the floor in a overlay method.

Many have offerd suggestions on this board, on self removal , it is not a good idea to attempt this although it is the lowest form of asbestos and is non friable as KC said as well unless it is sanded or you put a grinder on it.
It you escapulate it, Ditra will work the best as it will block all VEs (Vapor Emmissions) The black glue is called Cutback and is very well known for interferiing with most bonding agents other than itself.

It spawns from Vermiculite.

Last edited by 26yrsinflooring; 08-30-2008 at 08:29 PM.
26yrsinflooring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:02 PM   #7
The Carpenta!!!

Asbestos tile?

26years...you sound like just the man I need to talk to. Is it illegal to just durorock over it and tile on top? If not do I undercut the door jambs for the durorock and the tile...or just the tile?
Old 08-30-2008, 10:18 PM   #8
Get out of the box!

Asbestos tile?

You could durock over it no problem but the best solution would be overlay it with durock and then put Ditra on top of the durock then lay your tile.
Be sure to put your durock in a mortarbed.
Some guys would call it overkill I call it security.
You can research the Ditra here: "http://www.schluter.com/5793.aspx" or just watch "Holmes on Homes" he shows it in almost every other episode, He loves it but I have loved it longer...I think... ah who knows.

Anyway...do your home work, you seem very motivated with your Conquer the World Attitude, that is good. You will need to stay ever the optimist to acheive your goals!

You can find the Ditra online just Google it you might even see my site.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:30 PM   #9
The Carpenta!!!

Asbestos tile?

Thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate your help by the way. Is the mortar bed required 26 years...I want to do it right, but between the vinyl, and the 5/16" Durock, then mortar and 1/4" tile the floor is going to be an inch higher than when I start. How thick should the layer's of mortar be?

P.s...Should I undercut the door jambs for both durock and tile?

Last edited by ManMythLegend; 08-30-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:05 PM   #10
Get out of the box!

Asbestos tile?

Yes, mortarbed!1/4 x 1/4 square notch trowel, screws on 8" centers.
use a treated screw! drywall screws will rust the heads off. Avoid hitting
the floor joist with your screws if possible.
Plan a nice looking transition for the hiegth issue in those older homes the wide transitions go with the decor.
(use ditra; optional but a smart choice)
Tape your joints on the durock if you do not use ditra.

I would undercut for the durock and Ditra, then drylay a tile after it is all done and settled and undercut again, the last thing you want when you start laying is a miscut casing cut too low, the last thing you want when you are all done is a casing cut too high.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:31 AM   #11
The Carpenta!!!

Asbestos tile?

26 years...you're a legend in the making. Thanks for all your help!
Old 08-31-2008, 11:39 AM   #12
Tileguy

Asbestos tile?

Quote:
26years: "If you escapulate it, Ditra will work the best as it will block all VEs (Vapor Emmissions)"
C'mon Hugh! Since when does asbestos in floor coverings give off vapor emissions? You really didn't mean to say that, right?

Quote:
26years: "You could durock over it no problem but the best solution would be overlay it with durock and then put Ditra on top of the durock then lay your tile.
Be sure to put your durock in a mortarbed.
Some guys would call it overkill I call it security"
"Overkill" I guess and a total waste of resources. Use one or the other but not both.

Last edited by Bud Cline; 08-31-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:28 PM   #13
Get out of the box!

Asbestos tile?

I cannot believe you are saying that Bud it tells me you have not delt with Cutback as much as you would like.
Are you in bad mood today?

Relax, have Coke go

I gues your buddy Mike Holmes is wasting everybodys time and money by doing it right.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:53 PM   #14
Tileguy

Asbestos tile?

Ole "Sledgehammer Holmes" is an idiot. No one but his program sponsors care what he does. Hell he is paid to say those things. Schluter supports him and he will say anything his sponsors want him to say. He's a corporate puppet just like that other guy in Texas.

Do you really think that asbestos flooring gives off vapors? What am I missing here Hugh? Enlighten me please. Always ready to learn something new! Do you have asbestos confused with Radon?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:33 PM   #15
Get out of the box!

Asbestos tile?

Okay Bud I'll bite.

Cutback as we all know can be reactivaed with latex and other simple working bonding agents, this reactivation promotes vapor emission that will cause many glues and other flooring to lose thier bond.

I have seen cutback that has laid dormant for many years get reactivvated with thinset application and result in the thinset releasing from the concrete thi is a prime case of VEs
I have also seen the same sencero with cut back and mulipurpose glue. The vinylw as laid over tile that had cutback under it.
The vapors from the glue reactivated the cutback and the seepage began. The result was vinyl with a picture frame of a black square grid under it.
These are only two points, I could go on and on, but them this thread would loose it intent.

Be well