Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2011, 11:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

asbestos in our ripped up flooring??

Today we ripped up the top layer of vinyl flooring in our kitchen. It was vinyl flooring, glued onto 1/4" plywood, another layer of vinyl flooring (I'm assuming original flooring), and then subfloor. The house was constructed in 1965.

Right now we haven't removed the bottom layer of vinyl flooring as it is glued on and very hard to remove. About 10 minutes ago during our research, we came across people stating that a lot of vinyl flooring prior to the 70's contains asbestos, and now we are VERY nervous. Does it cause any symptoms like headaches, etc.?

Is there a way to tell if the layer we ripped up contains asbestos? And also if the vinyl flooring still remaining contains asbestos?

We are planning on using Schluter Ditra and then ceramic tile, can we just leave the remaining vinyl flooring and just go over that or do we need to rip it up?

Thanks for any info!

6fthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,470

OMG YOU DIDN'T !!!!!

Headaches, watery eyes, shortness of breath, sneezing, ear aches, runny nose, joint pain, cramps, dizziness, itching, sore throat, chest discomfort, acute acid reflux, hives, are all symptoms of an incurable disease one could acquire after removing vinyl flooring. Oh and anal irritation and ED. How far is the Emergency Room? There may not be enough time.

mustangmike3789 (07-30-2011), rusty baker (07-11-2011)
Old 07-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #3

If youre concerned about asbestos, have it tested. Google asbestos testing for your area, select an environmental firm to test, and go from there. You wont know for sure till you test, right?
Wiscbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscbldr View Post
If youre concerned about asbestos, have it tested. Google asbestos testing for your area, select an environmental firm to test, and go from there. You wont know for sure till you test, right?
Exactly right. Testing is the only way to know for sure.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

The vinyl should be removed, take a pic so we can see it and send Bud some sugar pills so he feels better
HarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Asbestos abatement is very expensive. Flooring tile are the lower hazard asbestos as it is contained within the product and is not easily made airborne unless disturbed. If you're not in the market for spending alot of $ on abatement and can just overlay (encapsulate it) then do it.
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Exposure to asbestos is not something that causes a short term illness. It can take years for symptoms to become apparent. Usually 7 to 20+ years. It is a fact that many older flooring products contained asbestos. It is true that most of the fibers were encapsulated in the matrix of the product, meaning little was normally released. Damp mop and damp wipe everything that that may have dust residue on it. The issue with flooring is that through age, it often gets more brittle and is more easily crumbled into particles that may become an airborne hazard. Since you've already removed the bulk of it, I would damp clean everything. Yeah, you may have been exposed. Yeah, if so it was likely a trivial amount. Clean up well, so you don't keep stirring up the same dust. Keep the rest of it wet as you remove it. Had you not already started, I would look at it a little differently, but it's water under the bridge.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maintenance 6 For This Useful Post:
Bud Cline (07-12-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice.

I brought samples to a local testing company, should have results in another day or two. If it indeed contains a considerable amount of asbestos then abatement will definitely be in our future. The health of my family (infant in the near future) is my top priority, not concerned for myself as much I breathe in more hazardous materials while at work
Old 07-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #9
Mold!! Let's kill it!

If you are breathing in stuff more hazardous than asbestos at work, then you need a new job or better equipment......... or your employer needs a reality check.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:24 AM   #10

I agree with Maintenance. If family is your concern, your longevity for their sakes should be a concern as well.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #11

Well I take every precaution given to me to not breathe in/be exposed to stuff but sometimes it's un-avoidable. Fireman by the way
Old 07-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fthook View Post
Well I take every precaution given to me to not breathe in/be exposed to stuff but sometimes it's un-avoidable. Fireman by the way
Ah ha...I retract my previous statement about concerns and instead commend your selfless bravery.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #13
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fthook View Post
Ahhhh. That explains the username. The stuff you're breathing in IS worse than asbestos and will do you in much faster. Having been a volunteer for more years than I'd like to admit, we both know that those air-packs don't do any good hangin' in the jumpseat. Take care of yourself man. It's a tough enough business without taking chances that you don't need to.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:28 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 10

Be aware that if it is not removed and depending on what state in the US you live in, you may be required to disclose the existence on any future sell. I am always for removing asbestos although I realize it can be adequately contained/encapsulated.
1texasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #15

Just got back results from the testing company, no asbestos found! It's now full steam ahead to remove the rest of the vinyl flooring and get to leveling the subfloor then tiling! Then a bunch more other things to do before moving in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
Ahhhh. That explains the username. The stuff you're breathing in IS worse than asbestos and will do you in much faster. Having been a volunteer for more years than I'd like to admit, we both know that those air-packs don't do any good hangin' in the jumpseat. Take care of yourself man. It's a tough enough business without taking chances that you don't need to.
Yeah, I'm one of those that uses my air pack for EVERYTHING that may have anything hazardous, car fires, overhaul, trash fires, bad med calls where they let loose.

Career ff in a busy dept and also still a volly where I live.