Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #1

Share |

Asbestos floor tiles... What to do?

My Master Bedroom has late 70's Asbestos tiles. Most are in fine shape and stuck down like no ones business. We are having carpet installed tomorrow. Carpet with a thick 7/16ths vapor barrier padding.

Do you think that I should pull up the tiles? Is there a significant risk for the future?

Thanks!
g60vwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Leave them down. Cover them up. No danger if they aren't disturbed. Not much if they are.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #3

if you know they are asbestos covering is best, but also in the 70's they made VCT tiles which you can remove easily. contact local (well Qualified) asbestos contractor to determine which you have. if it was me i would cover them if they were in good condition and not chipped or cracked. If they are chipped you might consider getting them removed
MTHOMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #4
Tileguy

The OP says the tiles are stuck like no body's business, and the plan is to install new pad and carpeting. So why do you think it's best to remove them if there's any chipped? Is something going to ooze out?

I agree to simply leave them alone, they are not causing, and will not cause a problem in the future.

BTW, they might be either asphalt tiles or vinyl asbestos tiles. Both contain some asbestos. Generally most asphalt tiles were 9x9 and 1/8" thick although some were later also made in 3/32" thick. VAT were 9x9 & 12x12 mostly in 1/16" for residential, and 3/32 & 1/8" for commercial use. VAT is now VCT. (vinyl composition tiles).

Carpet feels nice in cold climates, but bad for your health.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:20 AM   #5

Well,
I wound up removing the tiles that were damaged just for my own piece of mind. The carpet I got has a moisture barrier padding so I feel a little better. Thanks!
g60vwr is offline   Reply With Quote