Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2009, 07:38 PM   #1

Share |

Asbestos/Engineered/Crawl/Slab

HELP!
We bought our 50s ranch about a year ago. The previous owner had done a kitchen redo with an addition in the 70s.

There was 9x9 vinyl asbestos tiles under poorly installed sheet vinyl. We were planning on laying Bruce Lock n Fold 5" hickory (floated) over the floor. Most of the floor about 210sf is over crawl about 40sf over slab.

When I removed the sheet vinyl here is what I found: There was a little dampness under the vinyl ( I believe caused by condensation created by AC Duct blowing accross floor over the crawlspace). There was black/brown seepage between the VATs; a little tacky. Cut Back? There are some uneven areas that are caused by the redo's removal of walls and the transition from crawl to slab.

My original plan was to lay 6mil plastic over slab, luan over whole area stopping short of some of the high spots and using leveler to even things out., then lay the foam underlayment on the luan, then the Bruce.

Should I put 6mil over the entire area?

Also the slab has a 12" white foam back tile. would it be unlikely to have asbestos?

Thanks much for any help.
Gremmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:48 PM   #2

Question

Ok, we opted to have the floors removed. The "professionals" removed the 9x9s, the cutback and the 2 layers of thin (~1/4inch each) plywood.

I am now down to 1"x8" lap boards diag across the joists (16" on center).

Question is this: What is the right, inexpensive way to prep the subfloor for ceramic tile?

Thanks,
Dan (Grem)

EDIT: I think I found the answer in the thread Subfloor Prep for Tile. However, when the old floor came up there was a roofing tar paper over the lap boards and below the plywood. I assume that was a common practice in the 50s. Is this still considered a wise practice or is it better to just put down an ext grade 5/8" plywood and then a Ditra type product?

Thanks again,
D

Last edited by Gremmel; 06-18-2009 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Found relavent post
Old 06-19-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
gravity always wins

The tar paper was used to keep moisture from coming up through the sub floor and affecting the finished floor. It isn't used much anymore. Plywood glued and screwed to the diagonal sub floor with Ditra on top. Then the tile. That's the way I'd do it.
Maintenance 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
Tileguy

Now which is it?

Bruce flooring or ceramic tile?

Are you talking about two different areas?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #5

Wink

Thanks Maint. That was the way I went. 19/32 Ext grade glued and screwed. It will stay that way til my wife gets back from business trip and picks out tile.

Bud, the Bruce was the plan prior to ripping out all the old flooring. Now we will probably go with tile.

Thanks folks.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:26 PM   #6
Tileguy

Thanks for clearing that up, I was confusing myself.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote