Armstrong VCT Installed, Whats Next, Polish? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Armstrong VCT installed, whats next, polish?

I installed some Armstrong VCT Polar White over a month ago and I finally got thru with the shop and I mopped the floor and was ready to move stuff in.
But I noticed that mopping still left a white film. I figured thats how it looked till I happen to scuff a spot with my tennis shoe and it shined.
I emailed Armstrong and they said that wax is for shipping and I guess to keep them from sticking in the boxes.
And for me to use Shinekeeper on the floor.

So I just buy this and mop it directly on top of the wax that is on them?

Advertisement

34Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

New VCT needs to be stripped and waxed once the adhesive has cured. Welcome to one of the highest maintenance floors out there. You'll need periodic waxing and less frequently you'll need to strip and rewax when too much wax film builds up.

Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 08:03 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

So you think I should strip it first?

Here is what the woman at Armstrong said. Oh and this is not in my home but a work shop.

Quote:
Dear Dennis:

Thank you for contacting Armstrong World Industries, Inc. The 51941 is one of the Armstrong VCT flooring products. This does have a very thin film of an acrylic polish which is applied during manufacturing to get the tiles through shipping and installation. After installed this product does not need to be stripped, but does need to be polished. Since this is installed in your home, I am attaching a copy of our recommended maintenance guidelines for your convenience.

Once again, thank you for contacting Armstrong. I hope this information is helpful. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again by e-mail at FPOTechline@Armstrong.com or by phone at 1-877-276-7876 press 2, 3, 3. Additional information may also be found at our technical website http://www.floorexpert.com/ or on our http://www.armstrong.com/commflooringna/ website.
34Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

Regardless of what they say, we always strip a new install before waxing it. The factory polish isn't good enough to keep all the contaminants out of the tile and it breaks down easily as you are seeing. You may not need to rent a buffer to do this. You can just mop diluted stripper on and let it dwell a few minutes, then mop it back off with clean water a couple of times. Be careful you don't over saturate the floor. VCT doesn't like too much water. The glue re-emulsifies. Let it dry out good and mop at least two coats of good quality high solids wax on it. You can rent a high speed buffer to polish it as well, but this isn't absolutely necessary.