Armstrong Grand Illusions Musty Smell - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2010, 07:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Armstrong Grand Illusions musty smell

I have just purchased 33 boxes of Armstrong's Grand Illusions Cherry Natural Lock & Fold flooring from Curtis Lumber. All boxes have an extremely musty odor. The sales person told me the smell would go away. These boxes have been sitting in the room in which I intend to install them, and my whole house stinks! I have moved all boxes outside and the smell is gone. Has anyone experienced this problem with the odor? I don't see the smell disappearing after installation.

Advertisement

works2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

I would return them all if I were you. However, it may just be the packaging that smells. If you've opened one, leave one piece out for a day and then smell it.

DM

Advertisement

Old 04-16-2010, 08:11 PM   #3

I did that. I put 5 pieces in a plastic bag and had some open standing around in a small room. It smells bad. I dont see the odor going away. I will be returning them. Thanks. Have a great day!
Old 04-16-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
the Musigician

NP, I think I'd do the same in that case.

The smell might go away.... maybe.... in a year or so....LOL

DM
Old 04-17-2010, 06:54 AM   #5
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 530

Sounds like they have been warehoused in damp conditions. Definitely take it back.
poppameth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:22 PM   #6

The Armstrong Grand Illusions laminate flooring has a musty smell and it doesn't go away. I believe the manufacturer stipulates the laminate shouldn't be exposed to room temperatures above 85 degrees F. Unfortunately, my flooring has been installed for 2 + years and the smell hasn't abated. During summer months my thermostat is set at 79 degrees and 84 degrees when no one is home. The smell is probably worse now than before. Air circulation is the only remedy.
Grimeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:59 PM   #7

Grumeyguy there is no way I would install this in my home! I returned my flooring the next day. Air circulation is not the only remedy...remove it! I live in the Northeast and this flooring stunk as soon as I removed it from the box...while it was outside! This odor cannot be healthy to breath in. Call the company, who knows you may get compensated.
Good luck!
Old 12-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #8

I've had a flooring inspector in to check my laminate floor and he was unable to pinpoint the musty odor which emanates from the Armstrong Grand Illusions flooring. Basically, the inspector is a tool for the flooring contractor, Spraggins here in Orlando, and Armstrong. Without a doubt this product smells. Even the sample pieces at Home Depot smell.

I was assured by Armstrong that this Chinese-made product wasn't toxic. I bought a charcoal based air purifier and dehumidifier which does help. I may have the product tested by an independent lab. Also of note; I have some moisture between the laminate and underlayment and uncertain of the cause. I tried to call the home builder, KB Home, regarding this moisture but haven't heard back yet.

Word to the wise: Don't purchase Armstrong products and don't hire KB Home to build your house. And a shout-out to Spraggins who have caused me headaches because they didn't know or wasn't interested in installing the floor right the first time.
Grimeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:56 PM   #9
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimeyguy View Post
I may have the product tested by an independent lab.
If you do, please post the results here for us?

Thanks!

DM

Advertisement