Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #1

Share |

Anyone use Redgard?

Building a shower pan tomorrow, was talking to my employer about it.
Typically I use ditra waterproofing membrane on them.
Boss told me he found a product called redgard, we will use it.
He used it on the last shower pan for his kid, will be first time using it for a paying customer.

I just did a little reading on it from here
http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...s/redgard.aspx

It sounds great, just pour and form the pan, let it dry.
Use a paint brush and apply the membrane. 2 coats minimum probably 3. drys fast so no big deal. And it is done.

Saves a lot of time installing the ditra, start the shape of the pan and let dry over night, then install the ditra, fold over the corners and seal them. This always leaves lumps you have to float the tile over.
Next day finish burying the ditra and final form of the pan.

So the redgard sounds great and will be a real time saver, has anyone used it and have a opinion on it?
funfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
Tileguy

Anyone use Redgard?

I hope you didn't really use Ditra as the shower membrane. You meant to say Kerdi, right?

There are several ways to built a shower pan. Follow directions to a T and you should be good. Surface waterproofing method is the way to go as apposed to the traditional method. Laticrete's Hydroban is another, (probably better, more $$$) and you can use the Laticrete drain which is similar to the Kerdi drain. The drain is the secret to those systems.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #3

Anyone use Redgard?

I'm thinking Jaz meant that you can't put redguard on ditra because ditra has ruffles or ridges as pose to kerdi is flat. So you want kerdi.
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
Tileguy

Anyone use Redgard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSwet View Post
I'm thinking Jaz meant that you can't put redguard on ditra because ditra has ruffles or ridges as pose to kerdi is flat. So you want kerdi.
No Jet, you misunderstood. He's not using the two products together. Maybe re-read #1.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
Old 10-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #5

Anyone use Redgard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan

No Jet, you misunderstood. He's not using the two products together. Maybe re-read #1.

Jaz
Oh ok sorry about that.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #6

Anyone use Redgard?

I think jazman got it correct. I do understand his point.
Point is, regular ditra from Home depot is for reducing cracks and such and not really meant for showers. Maybe it is a decent product, I always over build and do not see a reason for the product, someday I may actually see a need for it and use it.

Ditra product I use, it is available at a local tile store, is made in Germany, I can get about 5 or 6 shower bases from it, cost about $450 a roll.
It has a long drawn out german name, I am just to lazy to look it up right now. But it is a ditra product.

I will not use this ditra product on this shower base.
Is simple pour and form the concrete base to the drain, then paint on this product called redgard over the dried concrete.
The redgard replaces the need for a membrane, it claims to be an actual paint on membrane that you tile over.
This is where I am sceptical and ask if others have a opinion on it.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
Tileguy

Anyone use Redgard?

Hey Funfool,

I don't understand your last post, especially the first part since you're the one that said you use Ditra for showers. Hope not.

The shower product is Kerdi, Ditra is for floors. The manufacturer is Schluter, not Ditra. You should brush up on all that a bit. http://www.schluter.com/

The liquid pan method with Redgard, or Hydroban or any one of the dozens of others will work fine. Just be sure to follow every step. The mil thickness is very important. Do you have a wet film mil gauge?

Jaz

Old 10-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #8

Anyone use Redgard?

jazman, maybe you can help me with the confusion. First let me THANK YOU for the confirmation on redgard.

In my case, the ditra I use is just a membrane, it does not have the waffle design in it.
It is a Schluter product.
Am searching for it on the internet and coming up empty.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #9
Tileguy

Anyone use Redgard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfool View Post
jazman, maybe you can help me with the confusion. First let me THANK YOU for the confirmation on redgard.

In my case, the ditra I use is just a membrane, it does not have the waffle design in it.
It is a Schluter product.
Am searching for it on the internet and coming up empty.
Just as I thought. Ditra is the waffled stuff, you're talking about Kerdi. http://www.schluter.com/

Jaz

Old 10-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #10

Anyone use Redgard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan

Just as I thought. Ditra is the waffled stuff, you're talking about Kerdi. http://www.schluter.com/

Jaz
What's the redguard for then?....
Old 10-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #11
Tileguy

Anyone use Redgard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet
What's the redguard for then?....
I thought you were gonna read #1 again?

Jaz

Old 10-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #12
"You can do anything"-Mom

Anyone use Redgard?

I'm getting ready to do the same thing. If you could post some pictures of how you build the pan, apply the redgaurd, and get it ready to tile I would really appreciate it!
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #13
Tileguy

Anyone use Redgard?

Brock,

Try clicking the link in the first post. That's a good start.

Jaz

Old 10-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #14
"You can do anything"-Mom

Anyone use Redgard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Brock,

Try clicking the link in the first post. That's a good start.

Jaz
I'll definitely do that and get working on research. Here is where I'm getting thrown tho. I have one concrete exterior wall and two other framed walls for my shower.

I will put cement board on two framed walls and coat with redgaurd.

I will coat the concrete exterior wall with redgaurd

what do I do in the corners?

Do I put a bead of caulk or thinset in the corner before I redgaurd it?

Also do I redgaurd the ceiling? I'm going back and forth about tile on the ceiling. I think I'm leaning against it. If not tile do I put drywall?

Thanks in advance for all your knowledge.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #15

Anyone use Redgard?

brockmiera
You can drywall the ceiling and tile it. Will be steam and humidity, but not actual water spraying on it and will be fine.

Cement boards on walls is fine, is crumbly in my experience and prefer using hardi backer. Is easier to cut and work with.
For corners you can apply fiberglass mesh tape and embed it in a thin layer of thinset, do the same for all the joints.

You would not need redgard on the walls in this situation.
In my case, I am replacing my normal way of building a shower pan with a rubber type membrane, replacing it with the product called redgard.
It is such a easy application to use that I am Leary of it and not sure I can trust it.
redgard actually claims you can paint it on drywall in showers and tile right over it.
I am not that brave yet.
But if you install concrete board and seal the seams, is no reason for the redgard. It is designed so you do not need to install the cement board.

jazman, I read your post and trust your opinion.
My confusion with the name of the product is simple as economics.
I started with this remodel company 6 years ago, and is where I started getting into tile. I have the home depot and lowes credit cards, The product is not available there, need to go to a tile store where it is stocked.
This requires the visa card.
In my defence , get on phone and "hey boss, I need some more membrane material"
It is delivered, So I never actually buy it. And is why I am ignorant to the actual name or details.
Now I finally have the company visa card, maybe a trip to Brazil next week