Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2008, 09:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Anyone here acid stain or antique their driveway/patio?

I had a driveway poured a few months ago and now its ready to get some color. I'm considering doing it myself but wanted to know what other people did.

I've been working with a concrete staining company that specializes in this type of work and they have concluded that its very easy DIY job.

I'm going to do the driveway in a solid medium grey concrete stain. And the patio we were going to do an Terra Cotta and Roust brown concrete acid stain.

imola ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:08 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

replaced ours last yr & still need to get my own o'lay done its MUCH easier using very light coats of stain especially if there's slope,,, if you want grey, why not just seal it w/tinted sealer & be done ? ? ? since you'll need to seal it anyway, why add work ? ? ?

' staining company that specializes in this type of work and they have concluded that its very easy DIY job ' is an interesting comment/observation,,, sounds as if you're using kemiko which brand produces the most comments on every board i've seen yet - few complimentary, btw.

remember you'll need to neutralize when acid's finished working,,, you may wish a med grey - what the conc does will be the controlling issue, tho.

yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:26 AM   #3

The stain that we're using on the driveway has the sealer built in it. So we won't have to go over it again.

We're using products from a company called Increte.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:52 AM   #4

1 reason that makes this work difficult is trying to gain experience reading labels, forums, websites,,, if that product were any good, more pro's would use it,,, i-crete's probably in 2nd place for complaints,,, however, they do have a nice bldg in fl according to their website.

generally accepted that i-crete was the 1st in the trade but, as in many other markets, they've, largely, been surpassed in ease of product use, longevity, certainly customer support, etc,,, what you're really using is probably a tinted sealer, NOT a reactive acid-stain.

never used the brand personally, thank God, but know others who did & left soon's they got educated to what's available.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:22 PM   #5

Thanks for your input. What product do you recommend a DIYer should look at for this job?

We were going to use a solid medium grey for the driveway. The patio connects right against the driveway by a 4 inch step. Thaw patio was where we were going to do the acid stain or antiqueing. The color we were thinking would look best for the patio is the colors you see mostly, and that's the browns and earth tones.

Last edited by imola ghost; 09-23-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:17 PM   #6

any const supply house can provide you w/decent solvent-bas'd sealers,,, we use elitecrete stain exclusively which is only avail to licensed installers & artisans & not to diy-h/o,,, google acid stain dot com,,, there are people who'll sell acid-reactive stains & compatible sealers to you.

gaye goodman also has a forum but, truthfully, the most responses come from h/o-diy'ers having trouble far's i can see,,, i, along w/some other pro's, try to help but sometimes they can't even explain what they've done wrong,,, ignorance is a great leveler but its easy to overcome w/education,,, stupid's often fatal
Old 09-23-2008, 08:52 PM   #7

I spoke with another concrete stain company today and they carry products from a company called www.smithpaints.com

I watched their instructional video and it looks like its something I'd like to do. I like the way it was applied. I'm very artistic and believe I could do my driveway better than most. I'm thinking of trying their products, in the video they use a spray gun. The use of a HVLP spray gun isn't a problem but its one of the first I've seen that use this method.