Anyone Have Stained Concrete Inside Their Home? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2009, 10:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Anyone have stained concrete inside their home?

We are looking at flooring for our new home. I am really enticed by the pictures I see of stained concrete flooring with the acid etching. The house we are buying has no flooring at the moment, just a concrete slab.

I had a guy who does stained concrete work come in to take a look at our slab and he said it was too uneven with too much damage to it (i guess whoever hacked off the old flooring left some big scrapes/dents) and he would have to do a concrete overlay then stain it.

The DIY part for me and the hubby would be to remove the grey paint (yes i said GREY paint) that the previous owner put on his slab cuz he was tired of looking at a slab while trying to fix up his house after katrina. The paint peels off if you pick at it, so its not really down very well.

So my major question, before we go through all this effort to clean the floors of this paint, is does ANYONE have stained concrete in their home, and how do you get along with it? We are in louisiana so its not really cold here much. Would like to do it in kitchen/hallway and bathroom.

Does it hold up as well as the guys who do it say it does? Would like an unbiased opinion before we take this step instead of just laying some floating laminate down over the grey paint.

Advertisement

wysteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

I'm sure it is too late but I will give you my opinion on stained floors. We too live in Louisiana and have scored and stained concrete floors. They are beautiful but in our case we have a few surface cracks and two small children who scratch and scuff them on a daily basis. I have been told that they are now performing some new technique that makes them look like glass and are more durable than in the past. We just purchased a large amount of wood and are adding on to our house and will then be covering the floor with wood. Our problem now is that we are being told that the wood should not be glued to the stained floor without sanding it first. Can't wait for that!

Advertisement

jcieutat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:11 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,486

we do the work AND will have it in our 24 x 28 family room after the holidays - pulling up carpet, diamond grinding, staining, sealing, & scoring,,, btw, NO PRO WOULD ACID ETCH PRIOR TO STAIN.

paint NEVER adheres to conc as you've found however a proper coating will.

wse have several colleagues who are master installers in la - 1's in layfayette & the other's in noo orleans. IF anyone says it doesn't ' hold up well ', they didn't have a good job to begin - someone either used h/o-diy quality acids & sealers,,, we use the same sealers on acid-stains as in aircraft hangars & epoxy floor protection - did you even know epoxies weren't scratch resistant ? they ain't hence the aliphatic urethanes.

far's the lady who's covering hers w/wood as posted, wrong move impo,,, whoever's advising you's ignorant about acid-stain & sealers,,, however, ignorance's never been a good reason to refrain from advising OR mouthing opinions, has it ? ? ?
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote