Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2011, 09:55 AM   #1

Share |

anybody know?

I am interested in having a Maple engineered flooring installed over a radiant heated concrete floor and I read just recently that it might not be a good idea....my question is why if that is so and if I did is there a preference of floating it or glueing it down?....thanks!
G~

2get2gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
Coatings Nerd

anybody know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2get2gn View Post
I am interested in having a Maple engineered flooring installed over a radiant heated concrete floor and I read just recently that it might not be a good idea....my question is why if that is so and if I did is there a preference of floating it or glueing it down?....thanks!
G~
Im having the same problem myself. Asked a similar question with hardly any responses. The more you cover the floor, the less effective your heating will be.

Im looking at lots of different high performance floor coatings. Everything from epoxies, to crushed quartz, to acid stains. A painted floor isnt a painted floor anymore If that makes sense

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #3

anybody know?

We have hot water baseboard heat in our home, and when we started an addition for a family room and master bedroom suite, I decided that I wanted to put the heat in the floor, so I started asking questions of some pro's I know. Now, I am doing the majority of the work myself, so it is still a work in pregress, and I do not know what "might not be a good idea" means, but I will share the information that I was provided. My buddy with a very large HVAC company was very confident that we could use any flooring that we wanted, as long as we did two things; he said that we needed to zone the affected rooms separately, as whatever flooring we used would probably require a setting different than any of the rest of the house, and that we need to "insulate the heck out of joist spacings under these rooms", because, according to him, this type of heat will indeed work, but, we need to ensure that it travels to the floor, and not to the basement or crawl space. So, still deciding, but armed with that, I went to my favorite independent floor store, which sells slate, tile, carpet, wood, etc., where I was told by the owner that he too opted for heat in the floor of his home, and that any flooring options that we might consider could work well, and he reiterated the criteria that my HVAC buddy provided. He did tell me though that as we get closer to making a decision, to remind him, as there may be a particular brand, particular type of underlayment, or whatever, that he may recommend for our application. So, after all of that (sorry for getting long), I realize that I have provided absolutely nothing concrete, except that I don't know that I would take the article that you read as gospel, without opening face to face dialogue with your flooring supplier.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote