Any Way To Make Dricore Less Bouncy? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2014, 11:37 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Any way to make dricore less bouncy?

I installed dricore throughout my basement as I needed something to be able to walk on without needing shoes, the concrete floor is very rough/pourous and extremly dirty from dust etc... and due to it's roughness cannot be cleaned or painted.

TBH I'm really not happy how it turned out, lot of spots are very bouncy due to the unevenness of the floor. I know they sell shims but it's hard to tell where it will be bouncy till it's all installed, so I would not have known where to put them anyway. The whole thing was usually in the air till I put the next tile then it would bring it down.

I tried tapcons, but those things suck as far as pull strength. They just pull right out. Could maybe try powder actuated gun? But then I'll have fastners sticking out all over, those don't always go in all the way, and if I cut the head it will defeat the purpose as the board will pull up anyway.

Can I drill a hole in the bad spots and just spray foam in it? Though, would that just compress?

Just wondering if I have any decent options.

I regret not just hireing a company to come smooth out the concrete, and then I could have done epoxy or something like that. Probably would have cost as much as the dricore anyway. The good thing about the dricore is that it's more warm on the feet though.

Another thing I'm wondering is, if I put cinder blocks on the bouncy spots, will it eventually fix itself? Or will it just go right back to being bouncy as soon as I take them off?

What about if I install hardwood or laminate, will that somehow fix the problem, or is that only going to make it worse because now that floor will bounce too?

Advertisement

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:10 PM   #2
Wire Chewer

Another thing I'm thinking, maybe get a couple cinder blocks or other heavy blocks, stack them in the areas that are bouncy to keep the floor down, then throw in a couple tapcons all around. To prevent the tapcons from pulling out I can use PL premium on the threads first, then let that sit overnight with the cinder blocks in place. I can then proceed to the next spot and keep doing this.

Think this could work? The issue I foresee is whatever I do to fix in one spot is just going to move the bouncyness somewhere else, so if I go with the tapcons I'll probably end up having to put them throughout the entire floor. I just hope the PL premium would hold up over time as it would suck to have them pull up at some point in the future once a proper floor is installed over it.

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 11:25 PM   #3
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,472

Dricore shims should have been used for minor imperfections in the slab.

A tapcon here and there along with the shims is all that should be needed for a relativity flat slab.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:19 AM   #4
Wire Chewer

Problem with the shims is it's hard to tell where they are needed, until the entire floor is done. It's also a chain effect, add one somewhere then somewhere else will be bouncy because now it lifted a whole section.

Guess what I should have done is laid down self leveling cement throughout the entire basement before installing.

I still need to finish the last section, it may fix one of the really bad spots (near where I left off). Then I'll see where I need tapcons and probably go that route, and just put PL premium on the tapcon threads before inserting, so they don't pull out.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:10 AM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,306

I've never used Dricore---could something be injected under the panels to shim it?
Old 01-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,716

1, are those tiles removable from the middle of the floor ?
2, or you have to work backwards (like click laminate) to get to the bad spot ?

if 1. remove the effected tiles and put layer/s of tar paper to shim em up.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
Wire Chewer

They can't be removed in the middle as it's tongue and groove, and because it's OSB you end up damaging if you try to remove them after. You can, but trying to remove an entire floor without damaging it would be a huge job. Actually now that I think of it I could not even if I wanted to since I framed a wall on top. In fact you're suppose to frame the outside walls on top too and I did not do that, I regret it now, as that would perhaps help keep it more steady. I plan to put my shelving units back up but as it stands they will just fall over as I walk around as everything moves.

Though I am wondering if I can inject something too... maybe some kind of concrete? Though if I step on it once (and I'll have to, to get to that spot) it will just flatten.

Almost need some kind of foam based product that gets very hard. So when I get off of it after doing the work it will stick to the bottom and stretch it back to proper height, then it will cure very hard. Is there such product?

I have thought of using a skill saw to make a square then shim from there, but then I need to try to make this square equal without it being loose.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:33 PM   #8
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,472

I don't see why spray foam wouldn't work in your case. I wouldn't cut a hole, I'd just drill one (1/4"+) just enough to get the tube in there and under the panel a bit.

Check out the dimple layout on another panel and be sure to inject the foam where it ends up under the panel rather than inside of a cell. I'd probably put some weight on that area after injecting too.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:06 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 83

I'd use self leveler. It would seep around the open areas under the panel.

Foam might expand and raise the floor up. Also, it won't spread out very much.
olzo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:09 PM   #10
Wire Chewer

I was thinking self leveler as well, only thing, while I walk on it to apply/drill holes etc, will it squish it to the point where it wont work it's way high enough? Or will it be liquid enough that it will just form back up?

Seems this may be the easiest thing to do, I can drill a couple 1 inch holes or so with my hole saw and pour it in.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:17 PM   #11

pre-drill the holes. Leveler isn't like water but more like syrup. And you can add a little more to the hole if needed. You might want to vibrate the dricore by striking it with a rubber mallet to shake the leveler so it spreads better. Then leave it alone until it sets.

Don't mix a full bag to start until you understand how much working time you need. Be sure to measure the porportions and use the same ratios as a full bag. Cold water slows the set and gives you more time. Basically, read the directions.

I want to add, you don't need to totally fill the dricore space. You only need to fill the part that would touch the existing concrete floor. It might dry quicker/better if not completely filled.

Last edited by olzo55; 01-16-2014 at 05:25 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:30 PM   #12
Wire Chewer

Yesterday real quick I decided to try my hand at tapcons again, I find those are very hit and miss but when they work they work decently, and I got a couple of them to stick and it really helped those areas. I'm thinking I might buy an impact and try some more tapcons as it might go better with an impact. Failing that I'll do the self leveler as well. Some spots that are really bad I'll probably be better off just using the self leveler. I'll use a bottle top as a funnel to pour it into the hole. The edges of the room will probably be the worst spots especially if I want to put any kind of shelves I don't want them to shake as I walk around.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #13

update if you try the self leveler. I'm sure the next guy would want to know what works best.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:34 PM   #14
Wire Chewer

Yep will do, I plan to go shopping on the weekend. Going to try the impact first and go from there.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:50 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 75

I covered my very unlevel basement floor with something similar to the dricore. It's a long story but I created a mostly level base and then put down 4 x 8 sheets of 3/4" T&G with 1" of foam glued to the underside. I attached them down with tapcons, hundreds of them. About 30-40 per 4x8 sheet.
I tried hammer drills but it was a huge waste of time, bits and money.
Bought a SDS drill for $140 and that made all the difference. Worth every penny. I would advise you get one, you'll be happy you did. I used an impact driver to set the tapcons. Wore out my cordless dewalt and went to an electric 1/2" impact wrench, like you'd use on car tires. Worked great.

Advertisement

northernlite is offline   Reply With Quote