Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Any suggestions? HIGH traffic living room but want the look of wood

I have gone around and around in circles on what will be best for my living room so I thought I'd ask for any suggestions here. I have a large 450 sq ft living room. High traffic with young kids, 3 cats and a large dog. There is a pool outside so wet lids come through the sliding glass into this room and are not the best about making sure they don't get the floor wet. I dry it if I see it of course. I want the look of wood. I don't want it to be a laminate so slippery I break my neck lol and I don't like the clicking so many laminates do. I have eyeballed real hardwood, engineered hardwood, laminate, vinyl. My head is spinning at this point. Right now Armstorng Performance plus engineered hardwood is sounding good but I don't know what the best choice is. Anyone have any suggestions on what they have found to be very tough? Thank you so much.

mommiemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #2

Do you think a transition area of ceramic at the entrance would look any good. This is done at front entrances all the time

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #3

I'm a believer in real hardwood, installed properly, with good quality oil-based polyurethane on top. It is extremely durable, impervious to moisture, looks great, and does not have the hollow, cheap feel of engineered flooring.

With dogs and a kid and a pool, you'll just need to keep an eye on the high traffic areas and when the time comes, have the floor screened and recoated.

I've been through it, with kids big dogs and a pool, and the hardwood held up great.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #4

Ironlight any suggestions of what brand or type of hardwood? There are just so so so many choices. I'm not sure what a good one is. For instance they claim Bellawood is good but when I read the reviews people say its pure crap.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #5

Not sure where he came up with the idea that engineered flooring sounds hollow, laminite does but not engineered flooring.
Engineered flooring has far more coats of sealer then any site sealed floor will have and is also a far harder surface.
It's more stable, it's nailed down so it's not going to move, can be refinished.
More water and moisture resestant then real wood also. It can even be laid over a slab which hardwood should never be laid over.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
Just a DIY guy

Have you considered ceramic tile that looks like wood? Some of it is pretty convincing from a standing height, and you can only tell when you get right down to it.
M3 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M3 Pete For This Useful Post:
user1007 (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #7

The ceramic wood is a good idea. Any brand recommendations I look at? Thanks
Old 05-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Bamboo is harder than domestic hardwoods. Composite strand bamboo will take bullet shots. And you might get a tax credit for installing it.

It is beautiful flooring and you can get it in colors if you want. The box store and liquidator crap is not worth considering.

I've nothing against nicely laid hardwood floors. As suggested it really does come down to the finish on the top of any floor though. Ceramic that looks like wood makes a great floor too. I am not a fan of laminate flooring.

http://www.duro-design.com

Last edited by user1007; 05-01-2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Added URL
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #9

I read that bamboo is horrid in humid area's though. Its very humid here. We have solid Oak doors and boy do they swell in the spring. When I read about bamboo and humidity I got a little nervous about that one.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
Just a DIY guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiemara View Post
The ceramic wood is a good idea. Any brand recommendations I look at? Thanks
I don't know the brands, but I saw a lot of options when looking at the tile stores. For tile advice, the John Bridge forums are pretty good (and so are the tile guys over here)
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/
M3 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #11

I have been in the flooring business 10 years and for your situation DEFINITELY recommend the strand woven bamboo. That is what I am putting in my downstairs as I have kids, dog, and a hot tub out back. The pre-finished ones typically come with 8 coats of finish, can be nailed, glued, or floated, hard as nails, look more like wood, and great with water.
TLynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiemara View Post
I read that bamboo is horrid in humid area's though. Its very humid here. We have solid Oak doors and boy do they swell in the spring. When I read about bamboo and humidity I got a little nervous about that one.
Bamboo used in most flooring does well in humidity as it was raised in the tropics. It depends on the finish though and box store and liquidator crud is not worth the money. But then, neither is hardwood from them.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote