Allure Ultra From HD - POOR - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2012, 07:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Angry

Allure Ultra from HD - POOR

I purchased over 2,000 sq feet and had it professionally installed in my Kitchen, Living room, Hall, Stairs and entry a little over a year ago. Having 2 kids and a dog the resilient flooring seemed like the best choice. Now it is separating and buckling all over (not just the high traffic areas). In reading the reviews this seems to be happening to a number of their customers. After contacting them regarding their "lifetime warranty" - they send someone out to inspect. I had the installer in attendance as well. While the inspector wouldn't say anything during his visit... The mfg of course tells me a week later that the issues I am seeing is due to the installation. This company clearly does not stand behind their product. Very poor company and product - I will not shop at Home Depot again. They need to choose better partners.

Advertisement

JennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Did the installer leave an expansion gap around the perimeter? I've seen some "professional installers" that do really poor work.

Advertisement

zakany is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zakany For This Useful Post:
joecaption (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Yes, the installer did leave almost an inch all around. I was even a bit upset cuz I had to go out an buy all new trim...
JennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

unfortunately yet another reason to have installers purchase the materials .. even with markup, it would all be warrantied from one place. sounds from the looks of it you will have to fight in the middle of finger pointing.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,628

Quote:
Now it is separating and buckling all over (not just the high traffic areas).
Do you have a picture of the damaged areas you can post? What you are claiming doesn't sound right.

Quote:
The mfg of course tells me a week later that the issues I am seeing is due to the installation.
Okayah! So what are they saying is the problem exactly with the installation?

All the information I can find says that in customer surveys customers are 97% satisfied with this product. I'm not defending the product at this time but you aren't providing all the information available to you. You seem to be trying to skew your information in your favor.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 736

100% sure when installing the base trim no one nailed into the flooring?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

With a one-inch gap, it would be pretty difficult to nail through the flooring. I'm not claiming that Allure is a great product or anything, but something does sound off about this. If it wasn't snapped together well, that would show right away. When I read "buckling" I think of it being overly restrained. When I read about a one-inch gap, I'm left with a poor impression of the installer.

What else could cause it to let go?

Uneven subflooring?

Grime along the edges?

Vertical movement of the subfloor?
zakany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 77

Related question. I'm about to install 700 square feet of Allure Ultra over badly beat up (but flat) hardwood.. I will have two points where I have to transition to a higher floor - 3/8 to 1/2" each time. One is the ceramic tile in the kitchen (edged with an aluminum strip) and the other is the marble threshold of the bathroom. I assume this is the correct type threshold to use:
Do I simply notch or drill large holes in the vinyl planks to allow the finish nails to clear the vinyl and penetrate directly into the subfloor?

Advertisement

tev9999 is offline   Reply With Quote