Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2011, 12:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

allure lisbon light and dark cork

I am planning on updating our kitchen, I want to try the allure planks, I was planning on putting it right over the vinyl on the floor now. the vinyl on the floor now has fake grout lines that create depressions in the pattern, do I need to fill these in before I put the allure over it? Also I am really interested in the lisbon light and lisbon dark cork, has anyone used either? and do they show scuffing or marks easier than the wood look?thanks.

baileyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

The glue on Allure has improved over the past few years. I'm not sure if the libson cork is a vinyl or real cork. The Home Depot will stand behind their products. So, I say go for witch ever pattern you like.

woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Any embossing or grout lines exceed 1/8 you must level the floor first with a cementitious/leveling patching compound.
allure pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
Veteran Rehabber

Rewards Points: 75

I use Allure in my rentals and rehabs. I've installed Allure over vinyl tile several times. The Allure material is stiff enough to prevent the vinyl pattern from telegraphing through to the surface. The instructions say it will bridge gaps of 1/8" and it really does do what it says. As long as your grout lines are less then 1/8" wide, no leveling is needed. If you are concerned, look at the commercial grade version. It is thicker and will handle bigger imperfections in the subfloor. BTW, this is not real cork. It is molded vinyl planks that look like cork. I recommend the darker pattern. It hides the tiny gaps between planks better. You can never get the planks to align perfectly no matter how careful you are. A tiny gap will show with the lighter tile as a dark line about the width of a human hair.

Last edited by CMHbob; 04-10-2011 at 09:34 PM. Reason: color gaps
CMHbob is offline   Reply With Quote