Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2010, 03:07 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Allure Flooring in My Garage

I have ordered from Home Depot the Allure Commercial Resilient Flooring. I have read most of the information on installation, but I would like to know what I should do when the flooring ends at the garage door. Won't the constant traffic of two heavy cars in and out daily cause the edge to break down? Won't the garage door block the drainage of the slush and salt water that will cause the flooring to deteriorate quickly? Any help, suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Konecto is an interior product only, and must be installed in a
temperature controlled environment, maintained between 65 and 85 degrees F. Please keep in mind

a concrete floor can be up to ten degrees colder than the actual room temperature" ALLURE AND KONECTO ARE BASICALLY THE SAME PRODUCT.

When the garage door is opened in the winter, depending on where you live, the Allure will probably break all the way back from the weight of the car.

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:43 AM   #3

Smile

Thank you for the information, Rusty. I will cancel my Home Depot order since it does sound like Canadian winters (temperature fluctuations, salt, moisture) will definitely present a major problem for the Allure flooring. I appreciate your experience and knowledge.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #4

Question

What do people suggest for installations on garage floors that are subject to cold, wet, slushy and salty environments since Allure is not a satisfactory solution?
Old 03-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #5

Question

Since the Allure flooring is not satisfactory for cold, wet, slushy environments, does anyone have any ideas?
Old 03-12-2010, 10:05 PM   #6

Paint
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:08 AM   #7

Smile

Thanks everyone for the information. I will paint the floor giving it a renewed look.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milne View Post
Any help, suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Check out these options for garage flooring. Some folks have stated poor results with some versions of paint so you might do a search. One manufacturer markets a large one-piece mat sized for a 1 car garage thus you might need 2 mats

Modular Garage Flooring:
This durable, multi-purpose floor system is designed to give you a clean professional work floor that can withstand tough mechanical environments. It is resistant to oil, grease, petroleum, antifreeze and most household chemicals. Great for garages, shops, retail displays or anywhere tough flooring is needed. Easy to set up and maintain.

Name:  11038308.jpg
Views: 5283
Size:  15.6 KB

Name:  419745.jpg
Views: 1682
Size:  30.4 KB
aggreX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:26 AM   #9

Quote:
What do people suggest for installations on garage floors that are subject to cold, wet, slushy and salty environments since Allure is not a satisfactory solution?

Do consider an epoxy coating.

Full disclosure first - I'm involved with a company that formulates, manufactures, and markets epoxies and other coatings for floors, pipes, tanks, air conditioners, fishing poles, planes, pools etc.

A good seamless epoxy system can handle the cold, wet, and slush with no problems. Likewise salts, other common road chemicals, as well as most shop and garage chemicals, wipe right off without leaving any stains or other evidence that they were there.

The process is suitable for DIY, just make sure you pick a system with very good customer support, although these are not complicated, they can be tricky because garage floors are seldom perfect and vary a lot in condition, specific needs etc.

Also look for a high quality coating - coating a floor takes a bit of time and money (figure at least $1.50/ft2), ands like many home improvement projects it makes no sense to be penny wise and dollar foolish.

AlphaGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:02 AM   #10

Paint on cement floors just peels eventually IMO
My basement floors have been painted & they are a mess
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Paint on cement floors just peels eventually IMO
My basement floors have been painted & they are a mess
That's why I wouldn't recommend a paint for concrete floors - paint will fail and lift. Epoxy is an entirely different animal, they're a completely different life form.

When it's dried an acrylic paint is about 2mils thick, it adheres to the substrate by mechanically sticking, it usually is just one layer. At 2 mils thick it simply can not offer any impact resistance, physically impossible. In contrast a quality epoxy primer by itself is 5 mils thick - it not only mechanically penetrates the concrete, but it both physically and chemically bonds to the substrate. Over the primer will be a top coat layer of quality high build epoxy, followed by a layer of clear coat, all told it's at least 20 mils thick, it is stronger then the underlying concrete, properly engineered it will adsorb shock and impact, which means that in case of something heavy dropping, the coatings will absorb the hit and the concrete will not chip out.

Epoxy coatings can be found on commercial airliners, nuclear reactor containments, dealership showrooms, commercial kitchens, retail floors, and on the garage floor down the street. The BMW assembly plant in South Carolina recently evaluated coatings for some of their existing assembly areas and after running tests they went with our epoxies for their paint operation dip tanks and assembly area floors. They're also expanding their facility, actually building a whole new plant and have spec'd our floor coatings again.

These systems last for decades.

AlphaGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #12

I guess I was actually thinking epoxy when I said paint. Those rubber mat tiles look good too.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Read this article.

G-Floor!

Mooby is offline   Reply With Quote