Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2011, 01:39 PM   #1

Share |

Allure Flooring

Hello,
Hope I am posting in the proper place...its my first time
I am considering using Allure flooring in a small bathroom and appreciate all the previously posted comments.
I am wondering however, has anyone ever put this over an existing tile floor. Am told by HD that its fine to do so and the backing of the Allure product will adjust itself to the indentations of the grout it you will.

The existing tile bathroom floor is rather old / ugly and this would give the bathroom at definate new look...am just looking for some advise before I begin...don't want to make it any worse in that bathroom.

canidoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Allure Flooring

I would think you would need to level the floor(fill all the grout lines) before that would work. I assume you are talking about ceramic tile?

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
canidoit (03-25-2011)
Old 03-26-2011, 07:25 AM   #3

Allure Flooring

Not to sound dense but why would you need to level the grout lines? Do you think the laminate would actually sag and show lines, ie. it couldn't bridge 1/8"? I am considering doing the same thing to buy a few years/push that project down "the list" to where I can tear out and redo the bathroom floor completely.

Last edited by ThatDaveGuy; 03-26-2011 at 10:03 AM.
ThatDaveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Allure Flooring

Allure is not laminate, it is vinyl.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:03 AM   #5

Allure Flooring

:doh: My mistake, but it isn't stick-on vinyl tile, it is heavier stick-together floating flooring, isn't it? So I'd ask the same thing, it wouldn't bridge a grout line?

Honestly not trying to argumentative here, I love being able to get opinions from pros that have worked in the field. Sometimes the hardest part of any of these projects is sorting through the mind-numbing selections of various products and materials, seems like there is "new" stuff on the market every day and who would know better than the guys that have to make it work for customers? The people selling any of it have a vested interest in convincing us that it is fine, it always works and no one has ever had a problem....
Old 03-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Allure Flooring

All vinyl products need to be installed on a smooth floor. Any uneven or rough area will evenually wear through. And if someone from a big box told me it was sunny outside, I would grab an umbrella. Remember it was HD who told the poster it would be OK. The same person was probably selling lumber the day before.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #7

Allure Flooring

Thanks, appreciate the followup.........
Old 04-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #8
Veteran Rehabber

Allure Flooring

I have used Allure over many surfaces, but not tile. I can tell you that it will bridge 1/8" gaps, hide vinyl tile patterns and not telegraph screw and nail heads through to the surface. It is amazingly forgiving, water proof and durable. It also comes in commercial grade that is thicker than residential grade. If I was concerned about grout lines, I would probably use it. If cost was no object, I would probably remove the tile from a small room first and cover the sub floor with luan or 1/4" plywood. Then lay the Allure on top of that.
CMHbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:11 AM   #9

Allure Flooring

I am putting Allure Corfu in my bathroom next week over tile. I too am looking for a quick economical fix for my bathroom floor which was painted over tile. I have stripped the paint off the walls and am going to take my chances with the grout lines. The tiles on my floor are tiny squares and are the original tile. I am planning on selling my house in the next few years, so it will be someone else's problem if it happens. There are some really great videos on youtube if you want to watch real people installing allure. Good luck!

missmdh is offline   Reply With Quote