Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

allure

I want to use allure in a commercial kitchen - how perfect does the subfloor need to be - should we use T&G plywood or MDF - How well will it hold up to the heavy upright refrig and other equipment - should we use diamond or radiant to minimize slipping?

carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 28

allure

There has been a lot said about Allure flooring, about 50/50 for and against as near as I can figure. There is a thread just below yours with several pages worth of replies. I am contemplating trying it for my small bathroom just to see for myself. I met a contractor at work last week who said "Well, it's your bathroom", which I took as a vote of no confidence. As far as commercial application goes? There was at least one positive review from a bar of restaurant owner in the other thread.

From everything I've read, it sounds like the Konectco brand works the same way, but is thicker and offers more variety due to the fact that it has been around longer but you can't get it at the big box stores, it is offered in a few select flooring stores, the closest one to me is 45 miles away but. I suspect it is more expensive than Allure.

I would personally rather stick with something more tried and true like Armstrong self-stick tiles but that will require a 1/4 inch sheet of plywood over the Advantex subfloor I have chosen based on it's high recommendation and that will raise my floor by 1/4 inch requiring a transition up from my livingroom area. The Allure free-floating floor can go on right over the top of the Advantex.

I would welcome any opinions based on my current plans mentioned above. My biggest problem is I tend to overthink my projects and end up spending way too much time planning and not enough time doing.

Last edited by Jim F; 03-09-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote