Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #1

Share |

All Floored Out!!!

Laying dura ceramic tiles on concrete

Our house is about 23 years old and was built on a slab. The flooring that was in the house when we brought it several years ago is vynal press-and-stick tiles, which was laid on top of vynal sheet flooring. The press-and-stick tiles have shifted over time, and are now popping up.

I have spent more than a week looking at various tiling options and speaking with several dealers and several installers. Each one I speak with has a different flooring favorite, and a different dealer the installer recommends.

We would like a durable floor, that is quiet and easy on the feet and legs... not cold and hard, not cheap looking, but not high end material either.

One of our installers has recommended using the Duro Ceramic product. I have looked at several styles and had chosen one to go with, but wanted to speak with one more installer that was recommended to us by a family friend.

When I spoke with him today, he recommended against using this product stating that it does not hold up well, if it gets wet it warps, and we should look at usiing ceramic tiles. He didn't even recommend using porcelin, as another installer did.

We are very much at our wits ends, and are all floored out!

Please share with me any suggestions or comments on using either material. We are also leaning toward having the floors pulled up and taking it down to the subfloor.

Thanks!

flooredout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #2

All Floored Out!!!

Do a key word search on Duraceramic complaints. http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...c-c282851.html

Hard to find any pros about it from what I've seen.

Your in a tough spot, any hard flooring on a slab will feel cold and be hard on the back and feet.
May be out of your budget but underfloor heating and tile could be done to warm it up.
Or using cork as an underlament and a floating engineered floor would also work.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #3

All Floored Out!!!

+1 to what Joe said,cork underlayment and engineered hardwood flooring.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
Tileguy

All Floored Out!!!

I agree that cork or heating mats and engineered hardwood might be a good way to go. As long as; you have no large dog and if the kids are not rough on the floor. You also have to promise to not wear shoes in the house. No spills too.

Even then expect to have the floor screened and re finished every 6-8 years if you wanna have it look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flooredout
...............and we should look at usiing ceramic tiles. He didn't even recommend using porcelin, as another installer did.
Porcelain is ceramic. Yes, get porcelain, most floor tiles are these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flooredout
We are also leaning toward having the floors pulled up and taking it down to the subfloor

Well yea, that's automatic, you're not gonna go over that stuff with anything of quality.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote