DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

AHHH! Just dented my hard woods! Help please

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Da Vinci 
#1 ·
I just dropped a sharp metal object on my floor (on the corner of course) and put a huge gouge in the floor (.5' in dia and about .25 to .5" deep). Is there any thing that I can get that will at least fill the dent and make it so that the dent isn't quite as noticeable? I'm thinking maybe there's something clear that will settle into the dent and shine a little? Like that stuff people make tabletops with. I have no idea what it's called, just grasping at straws here. I don't think a colored wood putty would look very good in a hole this size. I'm just trying to make it so that you can't see it from 3 rooms away.

I feel so stupid. This one is bad. Thanks in advance for any help.

#4 ·
I use this method to steam out dings and dents in solid wood. It works when the wood fibers have been compressed but not broken. However this is a gouge that's broken through the fibers sounds like.

Don't feel stupid- it happens more often than you know...

I was just fixing one today for a client. I'm a faux artist so I can make things disappear pretty well, but I may be able to help you get close...(Better than 3 rooms away?).

Here's what I'd try- first, use some blue masking tape (safe release is thinnest therefore best for this) and tear small pieces to outline the hole as close as possible to edge/profile without going into it. Get a small can of wood dough (not putty) - the type that hardens and needs to be sanded. Not sure what type of wood you have, but get one that is close to color of flooring (light oak orks for most light floors, red oak for cherry's and mahogany's, walnut for darker floors).

Using a small metal putty knife, press the wood dough firmly into dent and scrape off all residual even with surface of the tape. If dent is as deep as you say, you will probably need a couple coats. Keep applying until it no longer shrinks below surface when dry, always scraping excess even with tape surface.

When dry, use small piece of sandpaper (150 grit) to sand smooth. Take a small artist brush and apply just lightest bit of stain in a color similar to floor, remove tape-clean up.

This will get you 95% there. If you're brave, take it to next level. Remove tape, and sand patch completely level with floors- you'll scratch the clear a little in this phase so keep sanding close to hole as possible. Get a small pint of acrylic clear satin finish, and apply just a small bit on now stained patch, covering patch and cloudy area.

Is it perfect? No, but most people wont notice it's there...

Hope that helps,
Bay Area Faux FInisher

#3 ·
I just dropped a sharp metal object on my floor (on the corner of course) and put a huge gouge in the floor (.5' in dia and about .25 to .5" deep). Is there any thing that I can get that will at least fill the dent and make it so that the dent isn't quite as noticeable? I'm thinking maybe there's something clear that will settle into the dent and shine a little? Like that stuff people make tabletops with. I have no idea what it's called, just grasping at straws here. I don't think a colored wood putty would look very good in a hole this size. I'm just trying to make it so that you can't see it from 3 rooms away.

I feel so stupid. This one is bad. Thanks in advance for any help.
I feel your pain.
But don't feel stupid.
I have done it myself, lots of times.

#5 ·
Thanks so much for your help all.

Da Vinci, I might just try that. The fibers are broken and mashed down into a upside down pyramid shape. Filler is the only way to go. I think I might be able to get that to look a little better than what I have now. I think I'll stop at removing the tape to avoid risking the surrounding floor. That's all I need to have the floor refinishers out now that I'm finally getting close to selling this one.

It's been a bad week. I just got done busting a good sized chunk out of a textured (of course) plaster wall where I was cutting in an electrical box. :censored:

Makes me want to give up. Oh well, too late for that. :)

#7 ·
There's a remote possibility that there's a spare piece in the basement that I haven't cleaned out yet. Then again there's about 4 or 5 different floors in the downstairs. Different widths and woods. :( I'm still depressed. 2 years of not majorly screwing up the floors. I guess there's a first time for everything. Or something.

ETA; I'm not sure they could replace that plank anyway since there was another set of wood under this set.

This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.