After Tile Installation? Sealant? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2009, 01:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

after tile installation? sealant?

so i have my tiles done and grouted and cleaned. dont i have to seal something? seal the grout or the whole floor? can someone explain?

Advertisement

fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Depends on the tile. Ceramic or porcelain seal the grout only. Natural stone, travertine and slate.. seal everything. Wait for 72 hours before sealing.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
Depends on the tile. Ceramic or porcelain seal the grout only. Natural stone, travertine and slate.. seal everything. Wait for 72 hours before sealing.
yeah i have percelain. what kind of grout sealant? clear? home center stuff?
Old 04-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian View Post
yeah i have percelain. what kind of grout sealant? clear? home center stuff?
Home center stuff is poor quality. Almost as good as water.

I would use Miracle's 511 Impregnator

Test an area first. Some porcelains (cheap stuff) are not as good as one would expect and may absorb some of the sealer and look different. To avoid this using a damp mop, wet the tile slightly first.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
Home center stuff is poor quality. Almost as good as water.

I would use Miracle's 511 Impregnator

Test an area first. Some porcelains (cheap stuff) are not as good as one would expect and may absorb some of the sealer and look different. To avoid this using a damp mop, wet the tile slightly first.
but im only sealing the grout not the tiles right? so use a mop on the grout lines?
Old 04-01-2009, 04:12 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Nothing wrong with Home center sealer, depends on the brand, think Lowes still carries Aquamix and is a very good sealer.

Miracle is good as is Aquamix, Stonetech, SCI and others.

Don't mop anything, just get a grout applicator bottle and use that, it's a small plastic bottle with a brush or wheel on the tip, fill the bottle and squeeze it as you go and just brush it on the grout, keep a paper towel with you and wipe any excess that might get on the tile, you'll be fine.
R&D Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #7
Remodeling Contractor

Yes you are applying to the grout only. The suggestion to wet the porcelain was as a protection against the sealer effecting the tile. It should not. but nothing is 100% when I do not know your tile. Aquamix is also good, not available here at HD.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #8
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,234

Nice try there Bob. You wet before you paint....not before you seal, everyone knows that.....?

Generally you only need to seal the grout. However, both glazed ceramic and all porcelain can also be sealed to fill microscopic pores. You will think none is being absorbed, but a small amount is.

If you use a high quality sealer such as 511, it tells you right in the data to apply on the tiles too. In addition to filling the pores, 511 on glazed tiles make them LESS slippery. HUH? YES, Less slippery.

Make sure you follow directions and wipe off all excess material from the tiles.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #9
Remodeling Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Nice try there Bob. You wet before you paint....not before you seal, everyone knows that.....?

Generally you only need to seal the grout. However, both glazed ceramic and all porcelain can also be sealed to fill microscopic pores. You will think none is being absorbed, but a small amount is.

If you use a high quality sealer such as 511, it tells you right in the data to apply on the tiles too. In addition to filling the pores, 511 on glazed tiles make them LESS slippery. HUH? YES, Less slippery.

Make sure you follow directions and wipe off all excess material from the tiles.

Jaz
Did I say some of this incorrectly. I am wetting so as to not seal only part of the tiles since these tiles most likely do not need sealing. Only sealing the grout, and I said wet the tile and seal the grout. Which part do you see as incorrect?
Old 04-02-2009, 05:55 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

How are you going to wet the tile with a mop and keep the grout dry for the sealer?

Water and sealer don't go well together when applied.

No need to wet anything and unless they are unglazed porcelain, I would just seal the grout as I stated.
R&D Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #11
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,234

Bob,

We are not here to teach the "teacher". We are supposed to give good advice to the nice people that come here who are trying to save a few $$$. If you don't know why you do not wet the tile before sealing the grout, I can't help you.

However, I suggest doing lots of reading on the subject of "tile installations & care", so that in the future everyone will have confidence in your advise. It's real easy these days with these 'puter things we got here.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #12
Remodeling Contractor

I never encountered this problem. I know that 90% or porcelain tiles will have no effect from the sealer. I have read at Mr. Bryne's forum that some will discolor and wetting it first was a way to avoid this. I do not know what this OP's tile is and was trying to offer overly careful advise. R & D set me straight. I was looking at my 18 X 18 tiles on this floor as I wrote it. Missing the grout was not a problem. Glad you set me straight.

Advertisement