Afraid Of Ceramic - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2011, 10:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Afraid of ceramic

We love the look of ceramic tiles for our kitchen. But I have heard some horror stories of them breaking after installation. We even broke the samples we brought home easily. Is there a more durable tile that looks like ceramic? I hate the thought of those sticky vinyl sheets, but that might be where we are going. My floor has 16" joists, but does have a little bounce to it.

Advertisement

joemontana16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

Afraid of ceramic

Quote:
Afraid of ceramic
We love the look of ceramic tiles for our kitchen. But I have heard some horror stories of them breaking after installation. We even broke the samples we brought home easily. Is there a more durable tile that looks like ceramic? I hate the thought of those sticky vinyl sheets, but that might be where we are going. My floor has 16" joists, but does have a little bounce to it.
Ridiculous !!!

Where are you getting your samples? What on earth are you bringing home as samples that break so easily? Raw samples being dinked around with are ten times more vulnerable to damage than tiles that are properly installed. Think about it.

Advertisement

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #3

Afraid of ceramic

We brought home an actual 12x12 porcelain tile from BigBoxStore as a "sample" It doesn't have the manufacturer on it anywhere. It was laid on the floor and we walked on it. I'm sure they won't break as easily when installed properly, just made me second guess porcelain. We have two boys and two big dogs.

Correction: Wife said it was porcelain not ceramic.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

Afraid of ceramic

Quote:
It was laid on the floor and we walked on it.
There's your problem right there. What did you prove by walking on it in that manner? So now you condemn all tile because you broke a sample by walking on it?

Quote:
Correction: Wife said it was porcelain not ceramic.
Tell your wife porcelain tile IS ceramic tile.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #5

Afraid of ceramic

Not condemning...just learning.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Afraid of ceramic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Raw samples being dinked around with are ten times more vulnerable to damage than tiles that are properly installed. Think about it.
When we bought our house the original owners were nice enough to leave the extra tiles in the garage. The ones that had been installed in the bathrooms since the 70's were fine. The one I tossed in my trunk to match - broke. What Bud said.
I would be much more concerned about your "bounce". If you have issues down the road it will be much more likely because deflection than the tile itself.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Afraid of ceramic

All info is correct here so far as I can tell, however, if you want the LOOK of ceramic grouted tiles, they make vinyl tiles (CVT) that are thick and groutable and nearly indestructible.

DM

Advertisement