Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #1

Share |

Advice on using Ditra on Plywood against Backerboard

Hello all,

I'm in the process of tiling my kitchen, breakfast/nook and laundry area. I've decided to go with porcelain tile and have about 300 SF and I have a plywood susbtrate (will remove old vinyl floor first). I'm currently doing my due dillingence on the prep work before installing the tile. I used to install tile about 10 years ago and new things have come out since then, like Schluter Ditra system. I'm intrigued with this, since from what I have read, it's perfect for when substrate shifts/expands (specially wood), more durable and in addition it cuts down on the time of installation. I'm also aware that it's more expensive (about $300 more for my project), but I'm not one to go the cheap route on materials specially when it's worth it. I'm looking for some advice on whether to use Ditra, Pros/Cons, tips on installation or where to order it from online etc. This is a great site and I'm greatful of any advice I can get.

fjlcisco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Tileguy

You can learn everything you need to know about installing DITRA on the Schluter Systems website.

http://www.schlutersystems.com

You can order DITRA from several online suppliers and you can buy it at Home Depot. I use: http://www.tile-experts.com.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

I agree the Schluter web site tells you everything you need to know. I used Ditra on my kitchen floor over a plywood substrate, and under stone tile. Worked very well. However, I question that it saves any time, near as I can tell it takes longer, because you have an extra step, i.e. putting down the Ditra. However, it certainly solves a lot of problems, like shifting substrate, water penetration into the substrate, cracking tile etc., but saving time, I don't think so. And as you noted, it costs about $1.20 per square foot. In my opinion well worth it.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
Tileguy

I use DITRA and KERDI and I can attest to the fact that those products are absolute time-savers and their use offers guarantees you wouldn't have using other dissimilar products and methods.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
You can learn everything you need to know about installing DITRA on the Schluter Systems website.

http://www.schlutersystems.com

You can order DITRA from several online suppliers and you can buy it at Home Depot. I use: http://www.tile-experts.com.

I've definetly read up on ditra on that website, watch the 8 minute video and read the pdf file handbook. I just wanted to get opinions on the actual users of this product instead of the website. Just wanted a first hand notion. I've also read people that have had problems with Ditra, where the tiles did not set properly etc. However, I'm assuming the installers did not use unmodified mortar on the tile to ditra as the website recommends. I feel confident on this product, but feedbck is great to have....
fjlcisco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
Tileguy

OK, well, I have been using it since it hit the market in the U.S. without an issue of any kind. I know of no problems anyone has had but I'm sure there must be some issues somewhere. Point to the negatives you have found. I would be interested in seeing what the problems are myself.

I have inspected a couple of so-called DITRA failures done by others only to find that the product had not been installed properly. Each time I have talked with the customers attorney they have been able to settle out of court based on my deposition and explanation of what was done wrong. The installers admit taking shortcuts and back off immediately.

I would recommend it.

OK, next!

Tags
ditra, ditra mat