Advice On Using Bona DTS & Bona Traffic On Stair Treads? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2013, 11:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 152

Advice on using Bona DTS & Bona Traffic on stair treads?

I'm planning on using Bona DTS (2 coats) followed by Bona traffic on white oak stair treads (prior to installing them). Does anyone have any words of advice, beyond what is written on the containers & in the technical data sheets on the manufacturer's web site? Since this product seems geared for pros (which I am not), the instructions are not as detailed as would be nice. (I'm not staining the treads.)

I'm planning on 2-3 coats of DTS followed by 2-3 coats of Traffic.

Bona DTS says "INTERCOAT ABRASION: It is not necessary to abrade DTS unless more than 48 hours has passed since the previous coat was applied. However, for smoothest results, abrade the DTS sealer coat with a Bona Conditioning Pad and 1-2 Delta sheets as needed or a 150 grit or finer screen. Always vacuum and tack thoroughly with a slightly water-dampened Bona Microfiber Mop or cloth after abrading.

Since it's not "necessary" to abrade between coats of Bona DTS, is it worth doing it? (Bona Traffic says essentially the same thing - is it worth abrading between coats for that? "INTERCOAT ABRASION: It is not necessary to abrade between Bona waterborne sealer and finish coats
unless more than 48 hours has passed since the previous coat was applied. For smoothest results, abrade between all coats as necessary. When using solvent-based sealers, ALWAYS abrade before finish coats. Always vacuum and tack thoroughly with a slightly water-dampened Bona Microfiber Mop or
cloth after abrading.")

Is it worth it to buy particular applicators, or does a basic foam brush work fine? (of course, separate clean applicators for each of DTS & traffic).

Bona Traffic also says "For smoothest results, abrade with a BonaŽ Conditioning Pad before applying final coat. Always vacuum and tack thoroughly with a slightly water dampened Bona Microfiber Mop or cloth after abrading. Allow final coat to dry at least 24 hours before use"
Is this worth doing? If yes, is there an alternative to the "Bona Conditioning Pad" that will be just as effective?

(I'm aware it takes 7 days for Traffic to fully cure.)

I'll be mixing the Traffic Parts A & B in smaller amounts than the full gallon.
With the Traffic, is it best to apply the coats within 2-3 hours of the previous?

Elsewhere, I read you should wait at least 8 hours, but probably not more than 16 hours between Traffic coats (the thought was that 4 hours was too soon).

Advertisement

Last edited by lazzlazz; 06-25-2013 at 12:22 AM.
lazzlazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Advice on using Bona DTS & Bona Traffic on stair treads?

Yep Bona DTS deep tone sealer , Is designed the chemically adhere , As apposed to mechanical adhesion , Which is when you have to abrade between coats , I hope you don't use DTS , It faded out over about 6 months on my sample , I am tacomahardwoodfloors.com . I have not seen the fade when alcohol sealer is used , Or just use Polyurethane , Poly takes longer to dry but is fool proof , If you insist on Water base use alcohol sealer .

Advertisement

tacomahardwood. is offline   Reply With Quote