Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2007, 10:15 AM   #1

Share |

advice on tile/grout sealer for polished marble in shower

Hello,
I am new here and very happy to have found this place.

I am looking for a recomendation on brand or product for sealing polished marble and grout in a shower. It is 2" square polished marble with .125 grout line. I am going to use a non sanded grout. Darkening the grout color would be ok. I was looking at a few products at Home Depot and also at a tile store that carried the Superior brand. From what i have read a enancer & sealer will be the way to go. I was just wondering if anyone had suggestions or comments on brands or products that have worked well.

thank you
marcin

marcin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:39 PM   #2

Aquamix.com

R&D Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
Luce

Hi. I have the same question/dilema and was wondering what you used to seal your polished marble. There were sooooooo many choices in Home Depot and, of course, no one around to ask about which one to use. Thanks for your help. Luce
luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:56 PM   #4

Stonetech makes a great array of wonderful products for stone etc. I would recommend finding a dealer for them in your area and find the right product for what you wish to accomplish.

Whatever you buy, DO NOT put alot on, use a lint free rag and rub on lightly in a circular motion, just think Karate Kid! If you put too much on esp. on a polished material (as they by being polished have already closed up alot of the pores of the marble) you may find it takes very little to no sealer, but your grout will just suck it up. So, after you have rubbed on one coat across the whole job, take an old art brush or cut down an old toothbrush to the right thickness and put a second coat on the grout ONLY.

Polished marble will loose it's shine when installed in a shower. The constant water hitting it will wear away a pattern in it where it is hit the hardest. Do not be surprised or shocked in 2-3 years when an area looks dull. You will have to get it repolished every once in a while to keep it looking new. (you will need to hire that job out to someone who knows how). In the meantime, maintain your sealing about once a year in a shower application. For polished materials there are two sealers generally used, one that soaks in and another that is topical, I would even recommend asking a granite and marble countertop mfg. to buy their sealers as they generally always deal with polished material and often deal with the best product for that surface.
dochorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:59 AM   #5
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

I second dochorn, Stonetech.
angus242 is offline   Reply With Quote