Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Advice needed on tile layout.

Hey everyone

I need some advice on tile layout and pattern. I have attached floorplan of the hallway, laundry, kitchen i am planning on tiling myself. The long hallway leads into the kitchen from the garage. The room off the left wall of the hallway is my laundry.

I usually enter the house through the garage so i feel like the hallway will be the top priority for centering. I am considering a few different layouts for the space:
1) standard checkerboard
2) subway/brick/offset
3) diamond/45 degree
4)Versailles? layout - using 12" and 6" tile pattern

I am correct assuming i should center the long hallway as first priority?
Does anyone have recommendations on pattern?
Would the diamond pattern break up the lines of the long hallway better?

The angle of the floor in the kitchen (the top/right of the picture) is not a 45 angle so the grout lines will more than likely look awkward against that angle.

wheelds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

There are a lot of variables here. Choice of tile, color of grout, measurement of the tiles, and the measurement of the rooms could very well affect your decision.
I like the old pragmatic system. Get a box or two and lay out your different options. See what fits best and what looks best to you.

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,068

Do not choose a tile or pattern solely to try to make it fit your area.......they will all fit.

Regardless of your final selection you should lay it out so it looks best along that long hallway space. That's always the way no matter what size they are.

Those are all doable patterns, the diagonal is the hardest especially around doorways. It's really difficult is you're trying to keep the old door casings. BTW, selection #4 is not Versailles, it's hopscotch.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies - I should have included dimensions in my original post. The styles of tiles I am considering are all 12"x12" my hallway into the kitchen is 38"

I feel like whole 1 tile centered on the doorway and cut tiles to each side down the entire hallway will make it look twice as long as it actually is.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,068

Quote:
I feel like whole 1 tile centered on the doorway and cut tiles to each side down the entire hallway will make it look twice as long as it actually is.
NO NO! You don't want to center one tile, that'll look like it was your first time. That'll work if the tiles are about 13" or larger.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #6

Grout line centered on 2 tiles - Im hoping to break the grout line up

I'm also installing this on a slab do you guys recommend using apostate barrier etc on the floor before laying the tile?
Old 01-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 606

I think I would go with 1/2 or 1/3 or my favorite (random) bond to hell with that hallway, let everything hit as it hits. I mean your courses will be running left to right. So when you look down the hallway, you will see 1/2 bond or 1/3 or random. When I say random, I mean if you get into that hallway, then start out from the wall with a decent piece and end with a decent piece. Say 7, 12, 12, 7 will get you to 38", right? Next a 4, 12, 12, 10, then a 10, 12, 12, 4, then back to the 7. With a 7, 4, and 10, you can either be happy or forget it and go with a 3,5,8 deal.

So, 3, 12, 12,11
8, 12, 12, 6
5, 12, 12, 9

Obviously, a 9" cut will produce a 3", and a 5 will produce a 7, blah blah blah.

You'll figure it out. This is what I mean by random. You take the cuts and start over. Just do it on paper first.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 252

I really like some of the subway/offset patterns I have been seeing in homes the past few years, where they are using the rectangular tiles. I know this doesn't offer much help, but just an opinion on what looks cool.

Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote