Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2008, 12:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Advice on carpet tiles?

I just bought my first house and this is my first post. I'm a more or less single woman and I'm motivated to develop home improvment skills but I'm basically starting from scratch.

I'm having a hard time finding customer reviews of carpet tiles. I have a few questions:

1.) Any general opinions of ease of installation and how they look? Do the seams tend to show or no?

2.) What brands have people had good experiences with?

3.) Which type of adhesive backing (glue versus double-sided tape) would be best for a room that may get a little damp during part of the year?

4.) If you remove them in the future, is the glue easy to remove from wood or tile flooring or is it a major pain?

Thanks in advance for any replies--much appreciated!

rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Advice on carpet tiles?

I can save you some time here.
Carpet tiles are typically used in offices where a modular floor is needed.
They have some that are made for home use but the seams never go away.

If your room gets damp you dont want to put carpet in there at all.You will end up with mildew .

You may want to look at the new fiber floor sheet vinyls. They can be layed without adhesive and lay pretty flat.If the get wet, you roll it up let the floor dry and put it back in. Tarkett and Armstrong are two companies that make this type of floor.

mike costello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:45 AM   #3

Advice on carpet tiles?

Thanks, Mike. I don't know what those fiber floors are but I'll google them.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:35 AM   #4

Advice on carpet tiles?

IVC also makes good fiber floors. They are basically sheet vinyl except they use a fiberglass core layer and a dense foam backing to add cushion. They are virtually impervious to water and can be loose laid, though I always recommend full spread adhesive as the preferred installation method.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:18 AM   #5

Advice on carpet tiles?

THANKS!!!

I've been looking at these on-line. I'm confused because they have been referred to as "carpet-like." But the pics I see make them look like high quality vinyl tiles, what you'd use for a kitchen floor. Or faux wood. Are any of them plush, or at least textured, so they really are like carpeting? It's awfully hard to tell from on-line pics what the things actually FEEL like.

I'm still thinking about the carpet tiles, alas. The truth is, I really do want carpeting--or something that sort of passes as carpeting. Should I perhaps look into anti-mildew fibers?
Old 03-09-2008, 02:03 PM   #6

Advice on carpet tiles?

You won't find any Fiberfloor that looks like carpet. They look like sheet vinyl because that's basically what they are. Have you considered an Indoor/outdoor carpet that is designed to get wet?
Old 03-10-2008, 08:49 AM   #7

Advice on carpet tiles?

Thanks for that suggestion, Poppa.

I looked at Flor.com, which sells carpet tiles and one, that they call "working class" is kind of indoor/outdoor--like felt, I think. I ordered some free samples from them.

http://www.flor.com/

It's true the lines never disappear--but if you change your perception to thinking the lines are supposed to be there, the problem is solved.

I DO have a dehumidifier in the basement. What do you think of using that, plus blasting the heat for two hours once a week in the summertime? The basement isn't wet, it's never had water in it, it's just humid.

I went to IKEA yesterday. OMG! The place is like Home Depot times 100! I was so overwhelmed that I didn't buy anything. But saw lots of stuff I want. I'm starting to understand why guys buy trucks, even when they have the suburban lifestyle. In my system of gov't, every town would own a couple trucks that you could rent for twenty bucks a day.....
Old 03-10-2008, 08:58 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

Advice on carpet tiles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket View Post
I went to IKEA yesterday. OMG! The place is like Home Depot times 100! I was so overwhelmed that I didn't buy anything. But saw lots of stuff I want. I'm starting to understand why guys buy trucks, even when they have the suburban lifestyle. In my system of gov't, every town would own a couple trucks that you could rent for twenty bucks a day.....
I went to IKEA when I was visiting in Phoenix last year, great place. They built and opened one up here recently and I have yet to go in, since they need traffic control cops to get people in there w/o killing each other <eyeroll> There's even a parking garage there.......think I'd rather go to the one in Phoenix, hahaha.
DepotDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:26 AM   #9

Advice on carpet tiles?

Yeah, makes you wonder, if they're THAT successful, why don't they build more locations? And get a low-cost delivery service up and running? The location in Mass also has a multi-level parking garage, escalators, elevators, a kazillion people wandering around....