DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Adhesive Removal

7K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  SIE 
#1 ·
Hi all, I just joined this forum in hopes of helping my daughter who just purchased a little starter home that needs repairs. I try to so some fixing up in my own home but I'm certainly not very experienced and most projects that I think will take and hour or two end up taking me 2 days.

She has a pretty messy situation with floor adhesive. In the kitchen they pulled up a layer of sheet vinyl, then a layer of vinyl tiles, then had to chisel up a layer of those rigid tiles (the kind used years ago in schools). Also the foyer had some hardwood half way installed and didn't meet together and had big gaps in it. All of these different types of flooring were put down with some sort of sticky adhesive. The sticky residue is so bad that when you walk on it you sorta stick to the floor. Not knowing what was used in any of these areas, any ideas what we might use to get the adhesive up with? She will be installing Lock'n Seal laminate flooring manufactured by Uniboard Surfaces that has the underlayment already attached. The concern is that when trying to install the laminate the sticky surface will prevent us from sliding and locking the laminate together correctly and tight enough. All help will be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
Didn't look in the archives, so this may or may not be mentioned: but you say the underlay is already on the lam. floor, implying that you won't be using another layer...maybe you should, then if you don't get every trace of adhesive off the floor, the boards would still slide together.

#4 ·
Missed the laminate part, the 4th and all.
You will be placing a vapor barrier and some sort of an underlayment over all of that, so I wouldn't be that concerned. In YOUR case, I would tackle the vapor barrier first, you are installing a 'floating floor' and movement is imperitive. Putting down the barrier will be the most difficult part if the floor is sticky, after that, it's all by the book.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.