DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

adhesive recommendation for carpet in lieu of tack strip at doorway

6K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  MTN REMODEL LLC 
#1 ·
concrete slab.
ripping out carpet up to doorway.
will have doorway carpet-tile transition with no metal strip.

I'd rather not use a tack strip if I can avoid it.
Most of the carpet in bedrooms is held down by tack strips already, so I'm hoping at the doorway, I can just use a strong adhesive to stick it to concrete and prevent fraying.

I need an adhesive that does this and will hold up to occasional steam cleaning.

#2 ·
None that I know about. Not supposed to use tack strip in a doorway anyway (violates installation standards, voids warranty), that's why they make transitions.

#4 ·
I assume you are using a carpet pad.... so how would your idea work.... did you want to cut your pad short of the transition and then use adhesive to secure the carpet to concrete.... it would look strange even if there was a double faced type glue tape that was strong enough.

As above post shows.... why not use a tack strip.... (PL or LiqNails it down plus the concrete type tacks.)

Good luck

#5 ·
If you use tack strip across a door way. like the guys in the video, the carpet will wear out prematurely there. You will also feel the tacks if you have bare feet. That's why installation standards, endorsed by all the carpet mills, say not to use it.

#7 ·
If you use tack strip across a door way. like the guys in the video, the carpet will wear out prematurely there. You will also feel the tacks if you have bare feet.( I guess if you have that thin of carpet) That's why installation standards, endorsed by all the carpet mills, say not to use it.(So they want a raised, third color transition strip)[/QUOTE]

Rusty... Not saying you are not correct.... but a transition to tile is often done that way.... with padding/tack strip.... you don't need the raised transition strip.

I have a tucked carpet-to-tile in my personal home... and for living here 30 years, with 3 sets of carpet... I experienced no excessive wear..... yes I suppose a built up transition strip would take some wear off the carpet... but it's not experienced premature wear and I think makes a better smooth transition.

#6 · (Edited)
Sorry, I guess I have been in this business so long that I follow the installation standards. If I can't do it right, I don't do it. And it's rare to see anyone do flooring right in a youtube video.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.