Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2008, 05:42 PM   #1

Share |

Adding Radient Heat to Hardwood Floors

Ok, My house is from 1939, Forced hot air, with wood floors throughout. The only thing is that the floor for the 1st level is always cold during the fall/winter/spring and I would like to possibly put in radient heat. My basement is unfinished and unheated currently.

Would it be possible to get some of the radient floor heat components and put them between the joist against the subfloor, then insulate them in?

Also, I wouldn't necessarily want the system to be running all the time, so would it be possible to hook it up to some on-demand system to just raise the floor temp then turn off?

Thanks.

jimmyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:47 PM   #2

No, the radiant heating needs to go under the wood floor. Because you have forced air heating, I'm assuming you don't have a boiler, so you'd either have to add a boiler for this -- probably not a good investment -- or use electric heating mats, which work well. You'll need to take up the floor, though. Here's a link with more info.

A better option might be to just add a baseboard electric heater in that room -- double the heating and some extra cost, but much less than tearing out the floor.

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/stories/Detailed/10264.shtml

Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:22 PM   #3
Electric Radiant Heating

Actually, that's an 'uninformed' answer. There is a product called Zmesh that you can retro-fit "staple up" between the joists. It is a low voltage system that is made of a bronze screen so it won't deteriorate either. It can be nailed through anywhere, glued or stapled in place without affecting the Zmesh element. Zmesh also has a 25 year warranty against defect because of this.

We've installed it in many homes. As with any radiant you'll need to then install a reflective barrier insulation then batting below it. This is all providing you have the joist height space to take all the material. You're looking for a total of R-30 or better all together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
warmsmeallup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
motivator

My neighbor keeps telling me about a product he found that attaches between the floor joists in the crawl or basement then cover it with the insulation of sorts. Sounds similar.
Speedball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:49 AM   #5

I am interested in the ZMesh. What type of insulation is needed for this? Do you happen to have any pictures of the installation of it in a similar manner? I'm interested in it, but need to sell the idea to the other half.
jimmyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison1888 View Post
No, the radiant heating needs to go under the wood floor. Because you have forced air heating, I'm assuming you don't have a boiler, so you'd either have to add a boiler for this -- probably not a good investment -- or use electric heating mats, which work well. You'll need to take up the floor, though. Here's a link with more info.

A better option might be to just add a baseboard electric heater in that room -- double the heating and some extra cost, but much less than tearing out the floor.

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/stories/Detailed/10264.shtml
not necessarily! there are many components out there to install the heat under the floor. I have done this myself first hand. they sell these heat transfer plates that you staple to the underside of the subfloor as you install the pex tubeing. it works very well. And yes, I do agree with you, the expense of setting this up could be a deterrent, being you have the forced hot air system.
Is the floor currently insulated now? BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:41 PM   #7
Electric Radiant Heating

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyfloyd View Post
I am interested in the ZMesh. What type of insulation is needed for this? Do you happen to have any pictures of the installation of it in a similar manner? I'm interested in it, but need to sell the idea to the other half.
Let me know the height of the joist below. i.e. 2 x 8", 2 x 10" etc..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
warmsmeallup is offline   Reply With Quote