Adding Radiant Heating To Basement Bath. Need Advice. - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2008, 09:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Adding radiant heating to basement bath. Need advice.

I am adding warmwire to my basement bathroom tile floor. Do you really think I need any insulation under it? I understand something like easymat would only help but do I really need it?

Advertisement

ingeborgdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

EasyMat comes in three different thicknesses (3mm, 5mm & 12mm). The more you insulate, the better performance you'll get out of the warmwire. If you're spending the money to heat the floors, why not just go the extra step and insulate? If you don't and then are unhappy with the level (or lack of) heat, then what will you do? Better to do too much than not enough.
Also, I'm not sold on cork as the insulator over a slab even though it's mentioned as an option.

Advertisement

angus242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

If on concrete subfloor use schlutter ditra as a floor uncoupler for any cracks or heaving on a concrete surface. Thinset the ditra on the concrete and then put thinset on the ditra and then warmwire and thinset tile. If on plywood I like 1/2" thick Durock as a subfloor. use thin set and screws to install the 3 x 5 durock-then thinset and apply warmwire then thinset and install tile. You may want an electrician to hook up all wiring to the switches and outlet. Good luck
salesmanger@tomadamswc.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:19 PM   #4
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesmanger@tomadamswc.co View Post
Thinset the ditra on the concrete and then put thinset on the ditra and then warmwire and thinset tile.
That is incorrect information. As per the WarmWire directions:
"However, if Schluter® Ditra, Blanke Uni-Mat, or similar product is being used, install WarmWire below these products."
Old 05-04-2008, 11:24 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Why would you want a heated floor wiring system under ditra or any substrate. Th heat will never get to the tile??? But if the manufacturer tels you otherwise then thats the way to do it.
salesmanger@tomadamswc.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:27 PM   #6

I have decided not to use anything underneath it. I have talked to several people that have it on a concrete floor and they are not having any problems with having a warm floor. I am not looking to heat the room with this stuff just have nice warm tile to walk on.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:38 PM   #7
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesmanger@tomadamswc.co View Post
Why would you want a heated floor wiring system under ditra or any substrate.
Mr Adams,
Why wouldn't you follow the manufacturers directions on installing a specific product is the better question. Manufacturers spend time and money to make sure they can warranty their materials under different circumstances.
It's not a matter of what I think about a particular installation, it's whether or not I am giving a customer a quality installation that I can guarantee. WarmWire says that about Ditra, that's how I install it.

ingeborgdot,
Very good point. I think your installation in that manner will be just fine for your expectations. Not sure where you live but if it's in a warmer weather climate, it wouldn't even be an issue. If you are in a colder climate, you will definitely appreciate a warmed tile even if it's not enough to heat the entire space.

Good luck!
Old 05-05-2008, 07:40 AM   #8

I will let you know how it works in a month or so. I need to let everything cure for a while before I turn it on.

Advertisement