Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Adding new engineered board to ripped end

I installed a floating engineered floor several years ago in the kitchen and like a moron didn’t continue it under the dishwasher (I did under the oven). When we replaced the dishwasher, it did not come out the same distance and there is a ~1” x 24” area without the floor (vinyl on concrete slab there). I have extra engineered flooring and have cut it to length. The board next to the dishwasher was ripped to fit, so it does not have a tongue nor groove. What suggestions are there to install this additional piece of flooring. Note: ~1” will be visible, and ~ 3” will be under the dishwasher, so that the dishwasher will set on the flooring.
Initial thoughts (in order of how much I like them):
1) try to install a spline in the current floor to attach the new board too. However, the flooring is only 5/16” thick, and most of that would be the plywood. I’m not sure how to install the spline without splitting the plywood of the flooring.
2) Use liquid nails to glue the new floor to the slab, but not really attached it to the old floor. Probably result in gap between the two though.
3) Use the weight of the feet of the dishwasher to hold the new board in place and not attach it to anything.
Any suggestions on the best way to accomplish this.

Thanks,
Rob

Indywar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

If I am understanding this right, I would just replace that board that you had ripped that does not have a tongue or groove on it. More than likely you will have a board of the same length in your leftover flooring. If I am not understanding this right, I can offer other help if you might be able to post a picture.

Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #3

Thanks AWOODFLOORGUY. I might be able to do that. This is a glued floating floor, so I am not sure how easy it will be to remove that edge board w/o the tongue/groove. I guess I could see if a chisel might break it loose, but I am concerned it would do more damage to surrounding boards (as in break the entire row loose or break loose with the tongue broken off in the groove of the next row over resulting in the same problem). The boards are glued on ends and the length of the tongue. I am at work now. I'll try to take a picture when I get home.

Last edited by Indywar; 03-20-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #4

No problem. Happy to help. Since this is just glued at the joints then I would think you could safely get this one board out. If you get a chance to put up a picture I will try to offer the best advice I can.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #5

Hopefully I will have added the picture of the space between wood floor and dishwasher.

Any advice welcomed.
thanks,
Rob

Picture: http://www.diychatroom.com/members/i...bums/flooring/
or
https://picasaweb.google.com/1020487...91379779281346
Old 03-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #6

Maybe you could stain match a piece of quarter round to hide this gap? Or the other option would be to replace the 2 boards that are next to this. I would think you could get them apart from the rest of the floor without hurting the surrounding boards.