Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #1

Share |

adding to existing red/white mixed oak floors - What grade do I look for?

While I wasn't too surprised to see shorts exposed in a closet, once the cheap carpet started coming up, I was shocked to see that shorts were used throughout our mid-60's house. 1500 square feet of oak, and there's not a single strip over 18" in length. The sunken dining room and the family room that used to be the garage until the early 80's will be getting the floor raised to match the rest of the house, and my wife and I would like to have those areas finished in matching 2-1/4" strips. Obviously the entire existing floor will be refinished at the same time, and while I am an avid DIY'er that would love to lay the new floor, I think I'll leave the sanding and finishing to someone else. In the mean time, I do need to figure out where to find the right stuff!

Shorts usually mean tavern or utility grade, but the existing floors are much nicer than that. Flooring stores have been shying away from trying to help me, because I'm not there to shop for pre-finished stuff. I guess they only want easy sales.

I'm going to have to buy longer stuff and chop it down on site, aren't I?

KAdams4458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
DIY staff

That's red oak---There must be a hardwood floor supplier for the flooring trades---The installers around here don't buy from stores---They should be able to find the shorts that you need--

If you are going to hire a floor sander---start calling----Most of the floor guys that I know have plenty of surplus wood that they might sell to you cheap---

Otherwise get out your routers and set one up for tongue and the other for groove---Mike---

Old 02-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
That's red oak---There must be a hardwood floor supplier for the flooring trades---The installers around here don't buy from stores---They should be able to find the shorts that you need--

If you are going to hire a floor sander---start calling----Most of the floor guys that I know have plenty of surplus wood that they might sell to you cheap---

Otherwise get out your routers and set one up for tongue and the other for groove---Mike---
I suspect this was surplus wood in 1965. The builder was a carpenter that assembled this place for his wife. Maybe it's all shorts because he collected the scraps from previous jobs. LOL!

If there are suppliers in this area, I am not having much luck finding them. I know where to go for roofing, plumbing, and electrical supplies, but I have turned nothing up for wood flooring, so they either don't exist, or they simply do not advertise. (There are a ton of tile and stone places, though.) Lumber liquidators isn't cutting it. Maybe I should follow your suggestion and speak with a few guys about the sanding and refinishing. They're in the field, so they should have the connections. Why spin my wheels if I don't have to, right?

Routers? No one uses dado sets or shapers anymore, eh? I feel so old-fashioned.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
DIY staff

When I built my house back in 1988 I got a super deal on shorts from a flooring mill----

all my bedrooms are done in shorts--I like the look--I would have done the rest of the house in shorts if I had known ahead of time!
Old 02-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #5

There is a real mill just down the road. Flooring isn't something that they do, but maybe they could tell me who does handle that stuff in this area. Good suggestion. Thanks!