Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
MHG

Rewards Points: 10

acid stained concrete

We are considering having or existing concrete basement floor stained. Is there anything that we should look out for when we review estimates. We considered the DIY approach but decided pay others to do this and use or time for other projects around the house.
Any idea on what a 650SQFT floor should cost?

MHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

acid stained concrete

Yessir, you were right to ask for a pros take on this; I don't think the DIY approach to thin stained concrete applications is the answer that will give you the best results for the $$$.

Acid staining concrete depends largely on the concrete underneath the stain; our procedure makes sure that the substrate is 100% able to accept acid-staining and therefore really clean the surface, involving powerwashing the floor (where feasible), floor machines perhaps, then etch it with acid, neutraize that acid - then rinse before we do anything. You should not overlook this important step nor accept work from someone who does.

Then there may be needed an application of a skim coat of a polymer-modified concrete product to a thickness of about 1/8", very thin, let dry.

If not, then the application of the stain can proceed; this is where the artist comes in and creates a unique pattern on your floor. Once applied the stain is neutralised and let to dry. Then 2 coats of sealer is put on top, could be epoxy or something equivalent but it must be hard enough to prevent wear and tear

You will be looking at something around $4-6 per sqft depending on size and other details, but expect it to take 2 days for a good job. A good crew can do 2000 sqft in a day but the time is about the same.

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

acid stained concrete

I wan to put stain concrete, I'm not sure if to have it done glossy or not. The reflection of the light bulbs I don't know if I will like it. Also I don't know what finish I want to, because I have to young kids and I don't want to look dirty. Light color or dark color? How to decide? I think dark will appear the dust easier? right? I don't know I need help in deciding what color and texture to do it!!!
blanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:15 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

acid stained concrete

Well, there's one thing I cannot decide for you - and that's the colour. But I will say that these same concerns of yours make it so that a light tan is the most popular colour we put down, because of the "dust" factor. The gloss comes from the depth of epoxy we put down and the way it reflects light, so it doesn't come in a "non-glossy" finish...but aliphatic urethanes come in a satin finish, this may be more acceptable.

Concrete overlays usually cost as much as a good ceramic tile job, so the choice is yours. Other things you might consider is young kids playing on concrete floors (sheet vinyl may be better), and removability. You can get all sorts of flooring...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote