AC Rating For Residential Install - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

AC Rating for residential install

I understand that an AC rating of 3 for laminate flooring is more than suitable and appropriate for a residential installation. I'm interested in this floor from home depot http://www.homedepot.ca/product/hone...rlament/804867 as it has an attached underlay (which is what I'm looking for). This floor has an AC 4 rating. I've read that for residential use, this can be somewhat uncomfortable on the feet, and can wear out socks, etc...

Anyone have direct knowledge of this? Or specifically on KAINDL ONE home depot floors? This one is the KAINDL ONE Honey Ash 12mm with underlay attached.

Also, is it suggested to use a vapour/moisture barrier when the floor is above grade, but above a crawl space?

Any help would be great, thank you.

Advertisement

Last edited by Tara2Greg; 04-18-2013 at 09:17 PM. Reason: added laminate
Tara2Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 696

http://reviews.homedepot.ca/1998/912884/reviews.htm

Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Wow, thanks. Not the same floor (that model no longer for sale) but wow, sure does say alot about the poor quality of KAINDL products. I wonder if they have improved at all? Sometimes you get what you pay for. And the fact that I can't find reviews anywhere may be a red flag.

Thanks.

I'll think about this more for sure. But, on the other hand, I do have a limited budget.
Tara2Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara2Greg View Post
Wow, thanks. Not the same floor (that model no longer for sale) but wow, sure does say alot about the poor quality of KAINDL products. I wonder if they have improved at all? Sometimes you get what you pay for. And the fact that I can't find reviews anywhere may be a red flag.

Thanks.

I'll think about this more for sure. But, on the other hand, I do have a limited budget.
Tara, you are correct when you say you get what you pay for. I installed in a rental condo a couple of years ago an AC4 rating laminate flooring from a Swiss company that was well know for laminate flooring called Kronotex. The cost per sq ft was approx $3.50.
A buddy of mine dropped a steel hammer from about 7 ft in the air and not a single scratch or dent. At the time Consumer Reports rated Kronotex one of the best company's for quality
Sunnybono is offline   Reply With Quote