Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2010, 08:40 AM   #1
Do work

Rewards Points: 75

About to start new wood floor and the first row will be 1/4" out of square.

So I'm about to start another wood floor. 3/4" solid oak. Here's the problem. I'm going to start at the fireplace and work towards the farthest wall. Then I will backfill to the left and right of the fireplace when done. I wanted to start here as I don't want to end up with less then a full board at the fireplace. My problem is that the fireplace is 1/4" out of square to the end wall. Is there a a way to solve this or do I just install it out of square. I will be using a molding around the room + a shoe molding. In total I think I have about 3/4" to 1" of molding.

Here is a pic of where I will be starting.

Thanks.

liquidvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Hey liquidvw,
My name is George and I work for a Chicago area Home Depot. In my opinion you should start off with nailing your border first around the fireplace. After you have your border nailed in place snap a chalk line from two opposite walls in front of the tongue of the border piece. Your next step should follow with running a row or two rows on the chalk line and connecting the font of the border to it. Now, once you have those two rows nailed in you can go back and backfill the left and right side of the fireplace. In order to do so you will need to change a direction of your flooring using a spline piece and some wood glue ,the spline is a piece of the split tongue that you can buy ready to go or you can make yourself using a table saw. Further , you are not going to be able to nail your last 4 or 5 rows with flooring nailer …no worries just use a finish nailer nail thru the tongue and face nail your last row to the joist if possible ,if not use some construction adhesive. Also remember to leave a ¼ gap for the expansion and contraction.
Hope that helps and good luck with your project.

Last edited by SteelToes; 11-22-2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: liquid
SteelToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
Do work

Thanks but that doesn't solve my issue. The issue is the fireplace is 1/4" out of square to the end wall. So if I start on the fireplace it will be 1/4" out when I reach the end. So my question is it OK to be 1/4" out of square or is there a fix for this? All my other floors I've done, I started square to the end wall and finished square to the end wall.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 522

Quote:
it will be 1/4" out when I reach the end.
Quote:
I will be using a molding around the room + a shoe molding. In total I think I have about 3/4" to 1" of molding.
Maybe I'm not reading this right, but I don't see where the problem is?
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:36 AM   #5
Do work

Thats just it, You may see a taper on the last board. But I won't be sure until I get there. It will be out of square but by the time I reach the end it will be to late to do anything about it.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,002

Dry lay your boards to the wall by the fireplace and see how much of a full board (if any) needs to be trimmed. If you end up with 1/2 a board, your 1/4" at the wall where your boards narrow end will stop will not be very noticeable: say 1.5" at the wall near fireplace to 1.25 to 1.75" at end wall (depending which way the 1/4" out of square runs). If it is a sliver near the fireplace, adjust your board placement near the hearth accordingly to balance the widths out to suit your eye. Few people will notice as much as you.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

mmm.. here's the problem with a dry lay and hardwood. the boards aren't perfect. with the floor nailer you can bang the boards together and get a nice tight fit. with a dry lay the slop will throw off any meaningful measurement. works with tile, not so much with hardwood.

personally i agree with what has been said. you have to favor one side or the other and i also would favor the fireplace and correct at the wall. if you favor the wall then you'll have to correct at the fireplace and this is going to irritate you not to mention probably look funny. you can easily hide the out of square lay with molding when you get to the wall.

Last edited by racebum; 11-25-2010 at 01:57 AM.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to racebum For This Useful Post:
liquidvw (11-25-2010)
Old 11-24-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,222

Hi, my name is Rusty and it doesn't matter where I work. I agree with Racebum.I think the molding will cover any problem.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
liquidvw (11-25-2010)
Old 11-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

i agree too. a quarter inch on a long run isnt going to be noticeable. trying to do some funky angle rips at the fireplace to compensate for the walls will be more noticeable..... but a 1/4" on 20' is a 16th" on 4' and that is hardly anything at all but id say itll be a pain in the ass doing those rips and tying everything together.
jerseyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jerseyjohn For This Useful Post:
liquidvw (11-25-2010)
Old 11-25-2010, 01:28 AM   #10
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,076

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidvw View Post
Thanks but that doesn't solve my issue. The issue is the fireplace is 1/4" out of square to the end wall. So if I start on the fireplace it will be 1/4" out when I reach the end. So my question is it OK to be 1/4" out of square or is there a fix for this? All my other floors I've done, I started square to the end wall and finished square to the end wall.
So... If I'm understanding this right, you've got a 1/4" gap on the far wall. But you're putting baseboard & quarter-round trim on.

Unless I'm missing something, you'll have the 1/4" gap more than covered. You will see the "angle" but nobody else will.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:26 PM   #11
Do work

Thanks everyone. I'll take your advise and do it out of square. Its only 1/4" but all my other floors are perfectly square. Then again, the other floors don't have a fireplace in them.

Thanks again.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:33 AM   #12
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,076

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidvw View Post
Thanks everyone. I'll take your advise and do it out of square. Its only 1/4" but all my other floors are perfectly square. Then again, the other floors don't have a fireplace in them.

Thanks again.
You're obviously very meticulous about your work. But I think you're kind of lucky too. I've found that a perfectly square room is pretty rare.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:08 AM   #13
KemoSabe

Rewards Points: 500

If the hearth is 1/4" out, over say 5', what does that translate to over the length of the room? 3/4" - 1"? I think I'd invest an hour into grinding the tile straight, or rip and replace square.

A less attractive option would be to frame the hearth with a full piece and rip the first field piece to square up the row.
loneframer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:39 AM   #14
Do work

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
If the hearth is 1/4" out, over say 5', what does that translate to over the length of the room? 3/4" - 1"? I think I'd invest an hour into grinding the tile straight, or rip and replace square.
wow. I Didn't think of that. Will it really get bigger as I go along? And the room is bigger then 5'. From the left side of the hearth to the farthest end wall is 159". From the right side of the hearth to the farthest end wll is 159 1/4".

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
A less attractive option would be to frame the hearth with a full piece and rip the first field piece to square up the row.
Thats a good idea. I might try that to see how it looks. You may not even notice it at all. Also I could do it would much effort.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:42 AM   #15
Do work

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
You're obviously very meticulous about your work. But I think you're kind of lucky too. I've found that a perfectly square room is pretty rare.
I like to do things right as I have to look at it for a long time to come. None of my rooms were square, but I always measure from the longest wall to where I start then snap a line. This way I'm square to farthest wall, but its never square to the starting wall. But because of the trim, its not seen.