Is 5/8 Ply Subfloor OK? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Is 5/8 ply subfloor OK?

Greetings,

I am doing a re-model at a shore area home we recently acquired. The main living area floor (built in 1968) consists of 5/8 plywood (looks like CDX grade) nailed over the 16"OC 2 x 8 floor joists (11.5 foot span) The finished floor was the common oak 3/4" x 2 1/4" strips nailed over the plywood. Since the hardwood was very poorly installed, I pulled it all exposing the subfloor. I plan on re-installing 3/4" hardwood but would like to know if the original 5/8 ply subfloor is sufficient as is. I realize that with the original 2 x 8 joists there will be a degree of deflection but I do not plan to scab in sisters since it appears to be a major job. Thanks in advance for your advise.

Advertisement

Rustygaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

Is 5/8 ply subfloor OK?

The 5/8" is the absolute minimum allowed by building codes in most places. Obviously more is better.

Advertisement

Old 09-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
Buying the first round

Rewards Points: 75

Is 5/8 ply subfloor OK?

Personally, you went through all the work removing the flooring, why not continue and remove the questionable sub-floor and install a quality 3/4" sub-floor with glue and nails.

Now your ready for a quality hardwood floor install
Old 09-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
Stairguy

Rewards Points: 500

Is 5/8 ply subfloor OK?

i recently renovated my kitchen which had the same subfloor issues. I did not hesitate to put another layer of 3/4" down while the room was emptied and stripped...im glad i did. Keep in mind you may need to make new thresholds in the doorways and transitions to other flooring.
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #5

Is 5/8 ply subfloor OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIHR View Post
Personally, you went through all the work removing the flooring, why not continue and remove the questionable sub-floor and install a quality 3/4" sub-floor with glue and nails.

Now your ready for a quality hardwood floor install

I agree this would be the correct way but Sawzalling out the existing ply around the perimeter (20 x 40) and interior wall structures would be a major job. Might be easier to lay down another layer of 5/8 T&G as long as I can deal with the door and finish floor height issues. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

Is 5/8 ply subfloor OK?

Total removal of an existing subfloor probably isn't the thing to do unless there is so much damage that the integrity of the subfloor is in question and can not be spot repaired. This is because of the reasons you mention.

The 2X8 joists are minimal, the 5/8" subfloor material is minimal, the entire structure is probably built to minimal standards, but even at that, it isn't the end of the world.

Just because the 5/8" substrate is minimal doesn't necessarily mean it isn't suitable for what you want to do. Going back with 3/4" hardwood won't improve the overall deflection of the room(s) but it will improve the overall deflection between the joists. The bounce won't go away but the cush will be reduced. It worked before it will work again.

Adding an additional layer of subfloor would be an improvement but only slightly and again it will only improve the deflection between the joists, not necessarily the overall deflection of the room.

I personally wouldn't give it another thought and would move forward with installing the new hardwood. The hardwood will easily handle the overall deflection as it did before.

If it was ceramic tile you were planning to install that would be a game-changer, but wood would not.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #7

Is 5/8 ply subfloor OK?

Thanks for all the replies. This afternoon I humped 25 sheets of 3/4 T&G into the house. I am going to lay it down right over the 5/8. I check the existing doors and have plenty of room for the added subfloor thickness.

Advertisement