Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2010, 01:36 AM   #1

Share |

3/4" Solid Hardwood - Glue down on concrete

I live in Dallas and am looking to install 3/4", 5" wide African Okan solid hardwood on my concrete floor. Is it a good idea to glue it down? I am planning on using Mapei ultrabond 995 which provides moisture barrier too. How good are these moisture barriers ? Will they prevent the moisture from getting to the wood plank?

I am confused because I am getting conflicting advise on whether or not I can glue down this hardwood.

Installing a plywood subfloor[ 3/4" OSB] and then nailing the hardwood would raise the floor level and I do have several existing tiled surface and am worried about 1.5-2 inch difference in height.

Appreciate your time and help in this matter.

Thanks!
kk171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:18 PM   #2

You will for sure need to do a moisture test. And check the mfg recommendations. For years the rule was no hardwood glued to a slab, but I think some of those rules are changing with the development of the new adhesives. I am going to use an engineered product for gluing to the slab, that is what all the floors guys around here suggest.
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #3

Thank you for your response.
kk171 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concrete, glue, hardwood