Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #1

Share |

3/4" solid hardwood floors

I live in Orlando, FL.

I want to buy 3/4" x 5" thick hand scraped hard wood floors that are glue down. The contractor is telling me that he doesn't want to install 3/4" wood because it is too thick for glue down and is not flexible. He believes that when the foundation naturally shift the wood floors will just pop up from the glue because they are too thick to sustain natural changes.

I cant find and hand scrapped 1/2" that is real wood only engineered.

Is what he is telling me correct, even if the 3/4" thick wood planks are glued down with bostick 408?

robismyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:13 AM   #2

Sounds like a reasonable theory to me, but I always say, follow manufacturers directions. No one knows the product better than they.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #3

There is a product called Elastilon which I believe is available @ HD. I don't know much about it other than what I've read and heard from others. The concept seems sound and they suggest you can do what you would like to do except you don't need adhesive because it has an adhering layer on top.

As for gluing down 3/4" solid in a 5" width, I don't recommend it for a few reasons. The most important is lack of stability; solid wood (especially in wider widths) aren't conducive to a glue down application because they are too susceptible to humidity changes.

Engineered woods tend to be 20 - 40% more stable than solid and that is why you see many more of those in wider planks.

Like Just Bill said, follow the manufacturers instructions. (I'm willing to bet they don't recommend gluing it down.)

Good luck with the project!
rcuerrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #4

robismyname,

I just came back from a Sika seminar on Sika Bond and Sika AcouBond. Both are designed for adhering solid wood because of their elasticity.

Looked like the right product for you, but be warned that we haven't worked with it yet and can't offer any advice speaking specifically to this product!

Here's the site: http://www.sika.ca/con/wood-floor-bo...aaccoubond.htm

Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqxyVufFmIA

Last edited by rcuerrier; 05-06-2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: added video link
Old 05-07-2010, 05:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuerrier View Post
(I'm willing to bet they don't recommend gluing it down.)
http://www.lumberliquidators.com/cat...gory;274600044

The link shows that the 3/4" solid wood is for nail/glue. Does that mean nail or glue (one or the other). Or does it me nail and glue (do both to ensure proper installation)?
Old 05-07-2010, 06:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robismyname View Post
http://www.lumberliquidators.com/cat...gory;274600044

The link shows that the 3/4" solid wood is for nail/glue. Does that mean nail or glue (one or the other). Or does it me nail and glue (do both to ensure proper installation)?
Hey Rob,

When you click on one of the 3/4" handscraped planks and check the spec tab it has the following:

• Brand: Virginia Mill Works
  • SKU: VMKB5
  • Finish Warranty: 30 years
  • Trade Name: Birch
  • Botanical Name: Betula Lenta
  • Janka Rating: 1260
  • AC Rating: N/A
  • Width: 4 3/4"
  • Thickness: 3/4"
  • Construction: Solid
  • Installation Type: Nail
  • Sq. Ft. Per Box: 23.64
  • Hardness Rating: 2% Softer than Red Oak
  • Waste: 5%
Note the installation type.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Hey Rob,

When you click on one of the 3/4" handscraped planks and check the spec tab it has the following:

• Brand: Virginia Mill Works
  • SKU: VMKB5
  • Finish Warranty: 30 years
  • Trade Name: Birch
  • Botanical Name: Betula Lenta
  • Janka Rating: 1260
  • AC Rating: N/A
  • Width: 4 3/4"
  • Thickness: 3/4"
  • Construction: Solid
  • Installation Type: Nail
  • Sq. Ft. Per Box: 23.64
  • Hardness Rating: 2% Softer than Red Oak
  • Waste: 5%
Note the installation type.
Thanks for the feedback. Here is one (SKU:VMC05)that says nail/glue. I attached an image of the spec. I will call the store because I am not sure what nail/glue really means and Im afraid the store will say anything to get a sale.
Attached Thumbnails
3/4" solid hardwood floors-spec-info.jpg  
Old 05-07-2010, 04:44 PM   #8

Hi Rob,

I suspect they've made a mistake in that case. Doesn't make sense that one 3/4" solid is nail/glue while the other is nail only.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Hi Rob,

I suspect they've made a mistake in that case. Doesn't make sense that one 3/4" solid is nail/glue while the other is nail only.
I just spoke to a rep from the store and he told me that most installs he does in Florida is 1/2" hand scraped engineered wood floors, not solid wood 3/4" but it can be done as long as the boards dont run longer than 40 inches. He also mentioned the Canadian adhesive method where an adhesive type of padding is applied (im paraphrasing).

I really like the thought of solid wood floors but i am leaning towards the 1/2" hand scrapped engineered flooring. I will check with my floor contractor about the other adhesive methods mention in earlier threads.....

Kind Regards
Old 05-07-2010, 05:06 PM   #10

I did a hand scraped 1/2" floor that was engineered, went down pretty sweet with glue. I understand they make a caulk gun adhesive now so you just run the bottom lead edge instead of troweling the whole floor. I would never try to glue down solid hardwood flooring, somethings going to move
Old 05-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #11
Tileguy

I've never heard of, and would never consider installing 3/4" solid wood with glue only. Just isn't going to work.

However, the mention of nail/glue may be because some/many (?) manufacturers recommend glueing in addition to nailing when the boards are 5" or wider. Wide boards are more likely to distort.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote