3/4 Hardwood Underlayment - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

3/4 Hardwood Underlayment

Hi all,

Just a quick question RE: underlayment. We are planning to put hardwood floors in our living/family room, and kitchen. I pulled up the carpeting in the living room, and saw that it was particle board over plywood. I knew I had to rip up the particle board because it won't work for hardwood, so I've spent the past day doing it.

When I made it to the kitchen, however, I discovered that it already had plywood underlayment. This is where my dilemma is. The plywood down in the kitchen is 17/32, and the stuff I had delivered to my house (I dont have a truck) is 15/32. Is this 1/16" enough of a difference to worry about either returning the plywood I have, or ripping up the kitchen underlayment? Could I make the transition work with a roofing shingle? The rooms meet in a doorway, so it's not a huge transition in terms of length.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Advertisement

the_hoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
Builder and Remodeler

Rewards Points: 25

3/4 Hardwood Underlayment

I would send it back and get the same thing. Squeeks are going to be from the floor riding up and down on nails. If there are dips that can cause an air pocket between the hardwood and subfloor, it will squeek. Doing remodels, I see leveling compound cracked and falling apart on wood subfloors all the time.

Advertisement

JohnCarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote