Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #1

Share |

1984 house flooring

I ripped one layer of flooring and found another layer underneath. Been reading online about vinyl flooring having asbestos in it. Was wondering how to tell if the floor has asbestos in it or not. Floor looks like the previous owner took part of the layer up. Was wondering if the previous owner tearing the layer up and the decided to put a floor over it. Doe this mean that the layer I am looking at may have asbestos in it or not? Confused because the govt banned it prior to 1978 and house was built in 1984. Just trying to make sure.

drodjered06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
Tileguy

1984 house flooring

It may have been banned in '78 but inventories didn't run out until well into the 80's. The only way to tell is to have it tested by a testing lab. That's easy enough to do if you are so-inclined.

If it does contain asbestos do you want to remove it or are you going to have a heart attack because of it. We don't do heart attacks here.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:59 AM   #3

1984 house flooring

Yes this is what I was confused about when most pages say in the 70's building materials started to not use asbestos in the products. I asked a couple of other contractors that I know and they said that the flooring should not have asbestos, but I think I am going to get tested just have a piece of mind. I have two little ones and we are remodeling our kitchen, which involves ripping up the flooring down to the sub-floor and cabinets. I have done the first layer, since I did not know there was another layer until I was well into it. In any case the layer that is exposed has some vinyl missing and it has a white layer exposed in some areas. I also see the underlayment under that the vinyl was attached too. How long does the test take to get done? Would it be a good idea to rip it all out of there, since it is already exposed and some of the first layer has been ripped up?
drodjered06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
Tileguy

1984 house flooring

It's never a good idea to heap layers of floor coverings on top of layers of floor coverings. If you don't grind or sand or chew on the vinyl, or put it on your salad, you can safely handle it to get rid of it.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

1984 house flooring

I personally would have it tested,but that's up to you. I like to know what I'm working with. I've been told that some leftover asbestos containing floor covering was sold into the 90's.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
Mold!! Let's kill it!

1984 house flooring

Asbestos tests are cheap and quick.......... and create piece of mind. My bet is that it's not ACM (asbestos containing material). The U.S. EPA attempted to ban asbestos in the late 70's and early 80's. A lot of manufacturers complied voluntarily, but the courts ruled that the EPA had no authority to ban anything, only to regulate any process that may create an environmental hazard. No official legal ban ever existed for asbestos in building products and still doesn't You can still buy asbestos containing products on the U.S. open market. If the Chinese sell toys with lead paint and drywall that corrodes your wiring, imagine what else may be coming in. OSHA probably contributed more to the reduction of asbestos by it's guidelines to protect workers on production lines where at least U.S. products originated.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
Tileguy

1984 house flooring

Quote:
No official legal ban ever existed for asbestos in building products and still doesn't

From below .gov webpage:
"On July 12, 1989, EPA issued a final rule banning most asbestos-containing products. In 1991, this regulation was overturned by the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans. As a result of the Court's decision, the following specific asbestos-containing products remain banned: flooring felt, rollboard, and corrugated, commercial, or specialty paper."

http://www.epa.gov/asbestos/pubs/ban.html