140 Year Old Carriage House Flooring - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

140 Year old carriage house flooring

Hi all. I'm renovating a very very old carriage back to its former glory in a historic neighborhood yada yada blah blah... Short of it is I really want to install or somehow salvage about 700 ft^2 (a tad less) of flooring for the upstairs loft area.

First off, whats currently down is the floating laminate crap that warps and I just overall don't like.

My question to you is this. Judging by the following pictures could I peel down the layers to the tongue and groove and sand the 1" (True) x 5", stain, and finish it. My concern is stability, structure and just overall lack of sub flooring. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Here are the details.....

This is probably the best shot here as it gives you a full idea of whats going on. Laminate, subfloor, tongue and groove and the farthest down is a joist running perpendicular.

Im thinking I may have to carefully take it all up, add sub floor and then re-install which I would absolutely hate to do

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Direct shot of beams across.with floor sitting directly on it.
[IMG][/IMG]

Crap thats down now is one of the original laminate floor products from 10 years ago. It is absolute garbage.
[IMG][/IMG]

Advertisement

mjvdet13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,180

The old tongue and grove is intended only as a subfloor--

You will find that it has over sized gaps and the occasional missing tongue---acceptable as a subfloor but rather disappointing as a finished floor.

I suggest you might wish to add a hardwood floor---some of the prefinished look very good---I don't know your location,but many small mills will make up flooring for you at a reasonable cost---My supplier in Michigan offered to make up rustic cherry some time back----

Advertisement

mjvdet13 (07-06-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 274

Solid wood and Oak flooring is also helpful in this regard
alexjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
The old tongue and grove is intended only as a subfloor--

You will find that it has over sized gaps and the occasional missing tongue---acceptable as a subfloor but rather disappointing as a finished floor.

I suggest you might wish to add a hardwood floor---some of the prefinished look very good---I don't know your location,but many small mills will make up flooring for you at a reasonable cost---My supplier in Michigan offered to make up rustic cherry some time back----
Interesting. I too am in Michigan as well. In that case I suppose I'd like to rip up the laminate and go directly over the 3/4" ply with some type of oak. Money is not exactly tight but I can't get too high budget due to school and other properties etc etc.. I'd like to keep it in the 1k (give or take) range but I would be doing the work myself and I only need about 625 sq.ft... I have never laid hardwood before but ama pretty handy guy.

I suppose thats the route I will take.

Thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to mjvdet13 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjoe View Post
Solid wood and Oak flooring is also helpful in this regard
What exactly do you mean by "solid wood" as opposed to Oak Flooring? Pardon my ignorance..
Old 07-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,180

I think he meant the same thing----Hickory and Oak Sawmilling, LLC

This mill is in Delpi--Just north of South Bend----I've gotten great prices and he has the ability to make flooring.

You are in an area with plenty of mills-----If you go with raw flooring, you should be able to find a finisher who will sand and varnish for about $2.00 a square foot--

Advertisement