Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #1

Share |

1/2 inch cdx plywood subfloor

Do I need to remedy my subfloor before I put down carpet? I took up hardwood flooring to find 1/2 inch cdx plywood subfloor (ONLY!). What the heck. It may have worked with hardwood, but probably won't with carpet.

Please advise on the best remedy.

also, what are the "tags" that this website allows us to use in postings.

Thanks!

maveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
Tileguy

You're right, 1/2" alone does not a subfloor make. In years past, it was common to install a sheet of 5/8" over the base 1/2" ply. What type of room is this?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #3

It's a living room. What should I do?

Maybe you misunderstood, Jazman. There was no 5/8 over 1/2 inch. It was hardwood floor on top of 1/2 inch plywood, only.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
Tileguy

No, I didn't misunderstand. I told you what to do.

Your house was probably built in the '60's or 70's when they used 1/2" subfloor and lots of hardwood. In the kitchens however they installed lino, so the builder would install a good grade of 5/8" over the 1/2" which matched up well with the 3/4" hardwood in the next room. Later the industry switched to 3/4" ply subfloor and the flooring company was responsible for the underlayment for the vinyl.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #5

Jaz Man, are you saying a layer of 5/8 in my living room over my 1/2 would be sufficient for carpet?

Also, you described my living room and kitchen to a "T". 1/2 inch in living room with hardwood and it sits even with the kitchen which is 5/8 on top of 1/2 inch with vinyl (lynolem) on top.

Wow, were they cheap in the 60s and 70s.

On topic of cheap, I had a townhouse where my and all my neighbors houses had NO SIDING at all in areas of house side that weren't visible unless on the roof. The builders siding people did this to save $. Plywood, open to the elements. WOW, talk about cheap.

That is why I am a Do It Yourself-er. Can't trust contractors.